Thread: Dust collection opinions

Dust collection opinions

Hi... been a while since I've posted... I need opinions on my dust collection system. I have a small shop (15'x22') which is pretty crowded. Right now I have a Craftsman Professional 1 1/2 HP 1200 C.F.M. dust collector with 30 micron top and bottom bags. I use it with one of those 4" "slinky" hoses to attach to whatever tool I am currently using (I work by myself so there is usually only one tool running at a time). I'd like to upgrade to a 5 micron system but I'd also like to save some floor space. I started looking into wall mount dust collectors but it seems like most of them don't have the suction to reach across the room with a 4" hose. Then I looked at the Oneida Dust Deputy but decided that, although I could move it around to where it was needed, it would take up just as much floor space as my Craftsman. So then I thought if I can't save floor space, maybe I should just upgrade the bags on my craftsman to 5 micron. But apparently Sears has gotten out of the DC market because they don't even sell parts or accessories anymore. Harbor Freight has this 2 HP 1550 C.F.M. system that I can get for $159 with a coupon http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-in...tor-97869.html It has a more powerful motor than my Craftsman Professional plus it already comes with a 5 micron bag. Ideally, I would like to save space while upgrading my system, but I may have to settle for just upgrading my system.

So with all of this information, what would you do? Should I keep the Craftsman Professional 1 1/2 HP and try to find a 5 micron bag? Should I buy the 2 HP from Harbor Freight and sell the Craftsman? Or is there a another solution that will get me the upgrades I am looking for while saving floor space?

As always, I appreciate the valuable input I get from the folks here.

I don't think you'd find much of a difference between the C'man and HF, so I'd upgrade the bag. However, I'd get a Wynn pleated filter instead of a better bag. Adding a thein separator will help chip collection and keep dust and chips out of the filter.
    The next step up would be a stationary cyclone I think, but that's more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I don't think you'd find much of a difference between the C'man and HF, so I'd upgrade the bag. However, I'd get a Wynn pleated filter instead of a better bag. Adding a thein separator will help chip collection and keep dust and chips out of the filter.
    The next step up would be a stationary cyclone I think, but that's more money.
    Thanks... I am going to assume that the Sears bag is a standard size that I should be able to find somewhere. I'm not familiar with the items you mentioned but will definitely research them!

Wynn Environmental has great customer service. Check their website and or give them a call, they'll be able to fit something I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Wynn Environmental has great customer service. Check their website and or give them a call, they'll be able to fit something I bet.

Just found their site. Will do!

For additional background information on upgrading your DC, take a look at the article, "Soup Up Your Dust Collector" in FWW #232.

I did this to a used Jet DC-1100A 1-1/2 hp, in addition to rewiring it for 220V.

You will need more hp if you are going to upgrade to a two stage DC so I would hold off until you ready to sink a bunch into the upgrade. For now I would move your DC out of the shop (shed lean to , tarp) and limit how long it runs if heat/cool is a issue for you.I guess if it has to stay in the shop a Wynn filter would be a must and you will see little change in suction. If you could find someone with a dylos meter close to you it would be a I opener to see the dust numbers you are living with.

Bob
    Last edited by BOB SMALLMAN; 08-29-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Mike
    Thanks for the link to the article. I have a Jet 1 1/2 and thinking of the same upgrade. Couple questions if you don't mind. Did you see the actual gains as stated in the article? Not understanding electricity, why did you rewire to 220v? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Mike
    Thanks for the link to the article. I have a Jet 1 1/2 and thinking of the same upgrade. Couple questions if you don't mind. Did you see the actual gains as stated in the article? Not understanding electricity, why did you rewire to 220v? Thanks in advance
    This dust collector was the starting point for my garage shop (still under construction), so I don't have anything to compare it to, aside from the information in the article. The Jet DC-1100A came with a stock 30-micron filter bag, which is pretty ineffective at stopping all but the largest dust particles (some refer to it as a "dust distributor"). My garage houses 2 cars, assorted items in storage (some used for food production and canning), and a gas water heater. And, I plan to do finishing work there as well, so free floating dust particles are/will be a concern for me. I'm also considering an air circulation filter at some future point.

I used the information in the article as a general reference, with the intent of getting the most out of my recent Craigslist find. The best performance curve of the three that were diagramed in that article indicated that the Thien type separator coupled with a .5 micron Wynn cannister filter would provide the best collection capability up to the point of needing to empty the collection bag. (The point of the separator is to extend the capabilities of the filter by keeping the finer dust particles from being sucked out of the collection bag and re-introduced into the exhaust air column.) Because of my small shop needs, I wasn't as concerned about total CFM otherwise I probably would have started with a 2 or 3 hp model, but the results appear to be quite effective both in collecting and containing the particulates.

Since the modification, I've connected it to the output of a Grizzly G0593 8" jointer and a Grizzly G1022ZF 10" contractor table saw, fitted only with an undermount collection funnel. I have a 10' flexible hose hooked up to the 4" inlet of the DC and use a quick connect fitting to attach the other end to each piece of equipment. The jointer ran clean with only a trace of dust left on the infeed table. And, the tablesaw only left a bit of dust, thrown up by the blade at the top of the table.

The reason for rewiring to 220V and putting it on a dedicated circuit was so that I could run it at a lower amperage draw considering that it'll be running together with other 220V tools (jointer, planer, future bandsaw, and possibly the 2 hp tablesaw motor after I convert it). I read somewhere that the motor's efficiency is better at 220V, but I'm not sure how true that is or whether the performance difference is that significant over 110V other than a lower current draw.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 09-02-2014 at 12:05 PM.

I am in a similar situation. My shop is 10'x19'. I have a TS, BS, Stinger I CNC, Jet spindle sander and Ridgid table top belt sander. I also have a dewalt scroll saw and powermatic drill press. In addition, I usually have about 200bf of lumber in my shop at any given time.
    I often have my cnc and another machine running at the same time. My grizzly 1.5hp, was not up to the task. I upgraded to a Wynn filter and then the super dust deputy about a 2 years ago. This combo made a huge improvement and although space is at a premium, it's worth it. Suction stays consistent and 99% of the dust ends up in the trash can rather than the DC bags.
    My shop is very small, but the DC improvement is worth it. My Clearvue Cyclone is on order and I hope to get it in a month, and move into a bigger shop next year.