Thread: Making a Cross Cut Sled

Blog Entries

Making a Cross Cut Sled

Is there any reason not to use hard wood to make the front and rear fence on a cross cut sled? Thanks, Sean

To me it would only be the cost.

I think the whole idea with shop jigs and appliances is to use what is available. And what will be best for the application.

I have been using 8/4 oak for the front and rear fences on my cross cut sleds.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Good to know. I wasn't sure if stability was an issue or not. Thanks for the help, Sean

I used 6/4 poplar on my sled for front and back. It has been in service for many years with no problems.

Best use I found for my first special board I had bought.
    (purple heart, on monthly special from Woodcraft)

8/4 Mahogany for mine. Only because I had it left over from making 19 doors.

Blog Entries
    I've got some 8/4 walnut and 8/4 Cherry. Either one be better than the other?

Choose the wood with the straightest grain and least knots. Choose quarter sawn if you have it. That will reduce the possibility of warping.

I used two pieces of 3/4 ply, glued together, I had lying around. May not be aesthetically appeasing to the eye, but it works for me. It is a shop jig.

Blog Entries
    Went with 8/4 walnut with pretty straight grain. Planed it down to flat and straight. We'll see how the rest goes. Still have to make the runners and I think I'll use some oak for those. Didn't have any ply for the fences.

I think it is worthwhile to buy aluminum or UHMW plastic runners rather than using wood. I used UHMW on my last sleds and it worked out well. No matter how carefully you make wooden runners, they may either be tight during the winter or loose during the summer or both. Changes in humidity will change the dimension just enough so they they won't always fit perfectly. If you go with wood, try to select a piece that is quarter sawn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I think it is worthwhile to buy aluminum or UHMW plastic runners rather than using wood. I used UHMW on my last sleds and it worked out well. No matter how carefully you make wooden runners, they may either be tight during the winter or loose during the summer or both. Changes in humidity will change the dimension just enough so they they won't always fit perfectly. If you go with wood, try to select a piece that is quarter sawn.
    I will be using quarter sawn white oak. A big part of the fun of making this for myself is using wood for the entire project. I'm learning different techniques as I go along. I'm sure someday in the future, I'll build one and use some of the more sturdy componants.

all my saw fixtures are made of rosewood and brass. many a hand tool made with that in the past.
    jack
    English machines