Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is This Wood Suitable For Turning

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gan View Post
    Ron, I am not sure if you are trying to be helpful, or if you are just a smart a$$.

Maybe in BC that was humor, I don't think so. Maybe if you took the time you use to post negative accusations toward my lack of knowledge almost on the verge of calling me a fool and post something helpful it would be time better spent.

Everything you posted about what I do not know and what I should do was exactly what I had asked for advice on. Sure, I understand going to some classes would be helpful but in the meantime I will try to pick up as much as I can from others that have much more knowledge than me. That could be from this site or the hundreds of videos out there. Trial and error works for me and safety is top priority.

So unless you would like to post something useful, just don't.
    no ,I am just being honest and by stressing safety and taking lessons before indulging in turning is negative? . I don't know what B.C. has to do with anything.
    you do have your own opinion of your self
    good luck
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I cut stuff like that all day long... a wide board (plywood) as a base and some clamps work well until you have some flat planes to put against the table.
    Dan, I cut stuff like that too. But when you use a plywood base, clamps, and the fence, that's not what I meant by freehand. Freehand is using none of that, just grabbing an uneven piece with no flat surface for reference, and trying to make an unsupported cut. If you're not careful, the piece can be jerked down against the table and bend the blade. I wouldn't try to cut any of the gnarly pieces like that. The OP said he has an electric chainsaw, which is good.

Alan, you've had some good advice..even the post you didn't like. Perhaps you've heard the expression "life is too short to turn crappy wood". The pics you've shown is crappy wood. I suggest you cut a few pieces out that you think are possibilities and set them aside for a look-see later on after you've had more turning experience. There is lots of good free wood out there to be had if you look. Get some wood sealer and coat the end grain

From a safety point of view, some or most of the wood could be dangerous to turn. Chunks of rotted or cracked wood flying off the lathe can really be a danger.

Over many years I've taught over 500 beginners to turn and I can tell you that none of that wood would be allowed in my classes.

I live in Arizona where lots of both mesquite and euc. are available. Mesquite is very stable....Euc. is not. I hate to turn it.