Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardwood floors in living room or not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

hardwood floors in living room or not?

hardwood flooring kitchen, entry and hall. now we are thinking about doing the living room as well. do any of you have hardwood flooring in the living room and regret it or happy?.

what would you prefer?....jack

Jack,

We have hardwood floor in the living room as well as the kitchen, entry hall and most of the rest of the house and we love it . We also had it in our previous house. I see no down side to it unless there are some specific weather or other conditions that creates a problem, go for it.

Effie

Blog Entries
    you guys should have look on my wifes face after i got through using the nailer with the wall as a prop luckily im painting after the floors ....jack
    Attached Images Attached Images

At this point, I wouldn't have a house without wood floors. No carpet for me!! I have to qualify that ours are not hardwood...wide pumpkin pine for all but the MBR (narrow heart pine) and the kitchen...brick.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jack! I have 2-1/4" oak flooring in our living room, hallway, dining room and kitchen on the upper floor of our front-split, and love it. I put the floor down in the kitchen about a year and a half ago. It looks really good, is easy to maintain and even our two small grandsons have made no lasting impressions on it! I would never go back to carpet for these areas. The wood looks so much warmer and comfortable, and you don't have to remove stains like you do from the carpet when one of the kids knocks over your wine glass!
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Jack

We had oak hardwood flooring in the hall way when we bought the house and added hardwood flooring in the kit and family room and really love it. The only problem with hardwood flooring in the kit is things seem to be dropped more often imparing a few dents.

I do think hardwood floors are easier to care for but I still like carpet in bedrooms. (no cold feet in the middle of the night during the winters)

Go for hardwood

Only place we don't have hardwood is the bathrooms and kitchen - which are tile.

Sorry to hijack, but I just noticed this is my 100th post. Does that make me a centurion?

Jack, I love hardwood floors everywhere but the kitchen. Actually it is nice in the kitchen as well much better than tile comfort wise, however, I like ceramic for durability and possible water damage. We have old hardwood floors thorought the entryway, hallways and livingroom bedrooms but they need refinished. I refinished the bedrooms and they look great, however no way to do the hallway and living room without the family moving out for a couple weeks, wouldn't have access to the bathroom & bedrooms during finishing etc. it would be a nightmare for us. So the livingroom and hallways are getting a new laminate floor very soon, tile will replace the vinyl in the kitchen.
    Corey

Jack/ Nice work on the tile floor. Looks like your a pro.
    I think you will love having wood floors all over your house.
    The wear on a wood floor looks great and can also be refinished.

Blog Entries
    Corvin thx for the comment. "pro" no way but i enjoy tiling as much as woodworking. as stressful as woodwoking at times but the way it changes the appearance of a room is worth it ....jack

I've installed a lot of hardwood flooring for myself and customers. I've got hardwood throughout the entire house except for the kitchen/laundry area which is tile. There is hardwood in the bedrooms but we put carpet in there just because it's a little quieter. But we may be going back to removing that carpet soon. Hardwood looks good and is MUCH easier to maintain than carpet.

IMO, hardwood can go just about ANYWHERE in a house and work well.

We love it !

John

I built our home in 1987 and at the time only put hardwood in the dining room. The living room was carpet and the best I could find at the time. A few years after our son was born we were told he had asthma and had quite a time for a while, I replaced the living room rug with hardwood, his bedroom and the second floor hallway, while we made a lot of other changes also, the hardwood made a big difference, IMO.

If doing this over, I would have hardwood everywhere except the entrances and bathrooms where I would place Ceramic.

Andy

Our house is about 100 years old with hardwood floors throughout. But then, it's all covered with carpet! We're not far from tearing all the carpet out and sanding the house. I guess I'll have to buy a sheet of sandpaper.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Blog Entries
    well it sounds like hardwood floors throughout the living is the way to go. already got a blister from the mallet. putting the floor on a 45 is a chore but worth it along with a 6" border....thx jack
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren
    putting the floor on a 45 is a chore but worth it along with a 6" border....
    Why did you decide on a 45 degree shift to the wood floor? Seem like it would be more difficult to install and would look different than the traditional house. Just curious.