Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White bronze? Not quite.

So,what is so great about that expensive lotion,Winton? Does it make you look 20 years younger?

Blog Entries
    Rusty white bronze plane comes free with purchase of the brooklyn bridge, which is also limited edition.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    There was a guy selling aSwiss pattern watch maker's hammer as a "salesman's sample"!
    I love seeing the "salesman's sample" gambit. I see it at antique stores all the time. My favorite was the box-joint pliers, frozen shut with old rust, therefore "non-functional salesman's sample." Maybe I will list my old laptop as a "non-functional salesman's sample."

Ebay and Craigslist both can provide lots of humor. If you try to help some of the misinformed sellers out, you can get all kinds of responses as well.

Saw a plane on the bay a few years ago, listed as a "custom" Stanley 5-1/2. After a few Q&A with the seller, he admitted it was a bobbed #7. It sold for over $380 IIRC. Nice looking but totally bogus and misrepresented.

expensive lotion,Winton? Does it make you look 20 years younger?
    Ha, ha
    I have splitting fingers in the winter, mostly diet related (even though I can eat those foods in the summer and no prob), but this lotion actually helps and nothing else topical I have tried in thirty years has done a darn thing.

Splitting heels also. (only in the winter).
    Both quite painful.

It is also not oily/greasy and "dries" fast.

If a person has serious painful skin problems (mine isn't serious but Derek knows people who do) this stuff is actually more than just slimy goop to rub on chapped hands.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

That is just adorable.

I love the Swiss army knife alongside for scale.
    It's not a "salesman's sample", izzit?

"salesman's sample", izzit?
    Ha, ha.
    Nope. But you knew that.
    I bought if for a fancy paper weight, literally, I thought I would not use it. I tried it and it is a nice very controllable and precise plane for taking just a hint of wood off here and there. Like a scraper for example but leaves a none scratchy / fuzzy track. The track blends right in with the track left by my best finish blades / planes.

So why not use a block plane ? Ha, ha, . . .This thing is even smaller.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I use 101's for paper weights. Back when I was laying out blueprints on a table with customers to get dimensions for their kitchen it made an impression.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)