Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White bronze? Not quite.

Blog Entries

White bronze? Not quite.

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but that ain't white bronze.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rusty white bronze. I'd have really gone for the top and called it white gold if I were going to aim high.

I've gotten to the point where sometime I'll peruse ebay just for the entertainmen value...currently the most amusing thing I'm running across are these two...ahem... "collector quality" miller falls planes.

...which, btw are worth $40 each at most and can often be gotten for more like $20-$30 a piece. You would think someone who sells on ebay would know how to check the "sold" listings to get at least a ball park estimate of the what things are and what they are worth.

Of course, I'm glad these sellers are around because they provide me with amusement and that's a worth a lot to me.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Why would you sell something for $30 if you can get $175 for it? I am learning how to sell on the bay, it really is an experience. I see the trend is to buy it now and not wait for auctions. I think most people will literally search only buy it now items because they do not want to deal with the interminable auction; just click the button and it is in the mail. If you look around you can always find one in your price range. I think if you actually want to sell something the thing to do is to list it high as buy it now and then gradually lower the price until it sells.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

There are all kinds of idiots out there. Hard to tell them from the shysters.

There was a guy selling aSwiss pattern watch maker's hammer as a "salesman's sample"! (Hey,it's small,so it MUST be a salesman's sample). I told him what it was. Then,he replied he'd never heard of a SWISS WATCH MAKER!!! I asked him if he ever heard of Rolex. How can you deal with that kind of ignorance?

I view auctions ending soonest and bin most recently listed. Most of the rest of the listings aren't worth wasting time on.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post

There was a guy selling aSwiss pattern watch maker's hammer as a "salesman's sample"! (Hey,it's small,so it MUST be a salesman's sample). I told him what it was. Then,he replied he'd never heard of a SWISS WATCH MAKER!!! I asked him if he ever heard of Rolex. How can you deal with that kind of ignorance?
    He was probably trying to imagine why someone would make a watch with holes in it.

Blog Entries
    He either has no clue, or is hoping someone else has no clue. It is one or the other.

Or he's a shyster. Sometimes it's not the product that is suspect. Buyer beware.

Come on now! Anybody can have a bad day. Just go ahead and pay a stupid price for it. BWAHAHAHA!!!
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Well great day in the morning.

. . . this’n here is white bronze. It is an LN #1. Was a promotional special for WoodCraft’s 25th anniversary or there abouts. I waited for the price to drop an snagged her.

I really, really like this plane and use the heck out of it.
    Now
    I bet all you BD guys thought I would never say sumpin” like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

You would think someone who sells on ebay would know how to check the "sold" listings to get at least a ball park estimate of the what things are and what they are worth.
    Time for the completely unrelated photo or link.
    Hey it's a tradition so I like to keep up tradition.

I think the people who put up the high prices on the bargain basement planes price some of the stuff on Amazon.
    I paid about forty something for two bottles of this lotion (don't laugh it is great stuff that Derek turned me onto) . . . including shipping. Check out the current prices for two twenty oz bottles. I have seen it over $100. Some of them say "Free Shipping". Ha, ha, ha . . . yah . . . right . . .
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-29-2014 at 9:55 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

How can you deal with that kind of ignorance?
    Sell them land in Florida swamps ?
    Sell them Rolex replicas for the real Rolex price ?
    Tell them the canooter valve regulator on their car needs recalibrating and charge them for an engine remove and reinstall ?

Just some suggestions. I want 50% of the take by the way.
    . . . I'm gona buss out the brochures for that mountain home away from home we have always wanted . . . I can already here the coin rolling in . . .
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post

I know that the Swiss make watches but do they ever break down if they keep on ticking then nobody will heard of them since people tend to avoid free advertisement

GOD is not dead and American is still alive until further notice
    Actually it has gone well past all that now.
    It is a question of everyone on earth working together before we collectively destroy the atmosphere. We need to learn it is up to each individual to "grab a'holt" and not to sit passively by while blaming or relying on or ignoring some one or some "thing" over yonder.
    But
    Better is Better.