Thread: Glass for frames question

Glass for frames question

My wife cross stitches, which also has a niche group of fanatics the same as woodworking. I was raised simply. When I began framing her stitching I used plain and simple glass, double strength. Then she began showing pieces at the fair and a judge commented that she should be using non-glare glass so we started doing that. Now her stitching friends that pay hundreds of dollars to frame a piece are telling her she should be using museum quality archival glass. This sounds a little like bull manure to me, but I am looking into it. As near as I can tell the difference is a UV inhibitor coating on the glass. You can get 99% UV ray inhibitors. A little cheaper I guess is 90% inhibitor. This does not say whether it would be non-glare glass. What is your opinion of this mess? The pic is an example of her work; this piece with the framing I did won a first place judges choice award out of the entire category that is called "Home Arts."

406510_349834941773861_1846936018_n.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I don't think the matt glass ever looks right, and I wouldn't buy any uv filter glass that looks different from old glass. If you use the old method of not hanging needlework where it will be exposed to strong sunlight and you use close curtains
    when they don't need to be open all will be well.

I'm sure you can provide the frame. I googled up a link for you and maybe you can see if the prices of museum glass is better in terms of sizes. http://www.c4gallery.com/merch/tru-v...eum-glass.html

How much protection you need is like getting insurance rates. If you sell the art, you'll need to factor in the cost as well as the value.

You wife's art piece is cool!

Is that a lynx she did there? Very nice! Fanatical cross stitchers?! Serious?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I use museum quality archival glass, or sometimes the next step down, for the pictures I frame. If I'm taking the time to make a nice frame for something I don't want the item getting ruined over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Is that a lynx she did there? Very nice! Fanatical cross stitchers?! Serious?
    It is a Serval, an African wild cat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I use museum quality archival glass, or sometimes the next step down, for the pictures I frame. If I'm taking the time to make a nice frame for something I don't want the item getting ruined over time.
    Would you mind sharing your source for the glass? Do you cut your own or get it cut to size?

Blog Entries
    If she shows a lot of similarly-sized pieces while sitting in the sun, cut a few pieces of UV-in. glass and swap them out, as necessary. Museum-quality glass sounds great, but it's wholly unnecessary when these items are indoors for the rest of their lives. Nice as they are, we're not talking about a world-famous Mona Lisa with ancient pigmented paints that will fade with UV exposure and viewed by millions every year.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Moses, the period samplers and other examples of needlework in museum collections are left in their original frames unless their is some issue. Nothing wrong with "museum glass" but your money would be better spent buying natural fiber
    materials dyed with non acidic materials . Low quality materials will deteriorate even behind expensive glass. The principle
    preservation techniques used by museums are keeping them safe from vermin and rotating collection into low light then darkness. Many of us remember when fabrics ,fine wallpapers, prints,etc. were always protected from strong light,and that
    is why the museums have fabric objects to display...not museum glass.