Thread: Old Tool Restoration> Is It Worth It?

Question Old Tool Restoration> Is It Worth It?

I have been storing a lot of old tools that belonged to my Grandpa. He was a master Carpenter doing it all including finish work. I am slowly going through them as I can, we are going to downsize the house and up-size the shop. Lol

When I say lots I mean a boat load. They are covered with that old greasy feeling dusty/rust coating from being stored for more than 30 years.

I know I would like to restore the Compass's because they will work fine. The other tools I will need to get out to see all what is there.

What would be the best way to make these look as best they can.

Then on the other stuff, is it worth restoring? Do the hold value other than sentimental? I know that would be hard to answer without knowing what there is but in general.

Don't do a thing! The patina is everything and using them will make these tools yours and your Granpa's. Start removing this and that to make them shiney and your Granpa is gone. Okay, maybe you could oil them. But use them and the effect of your hands on an old tool will bring you joy.

I appreciate the kind thoughts but my grandpa knew when it was time to make some money. I think the patina is under this gunk, just asked to see what anyone else had done.To use them now would contaminate the wood, they are dirty...

I go with making them functional. If they are not functional, then hang them on the wall for the memories.

Safest way to clean without harm is to use mineral spirits or Kerosene, and a Scotchbrite pad. i love those old wing dividers, can't find 'em anymore. They seem to be missing a small thumbscrew which is a coarse adjust lock for the curved tongue. Fine adjustments are made with the knurled nut at the end. I would never get rid of those, they are grandpa.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

For something like the divider, I use Simple Green in a spray bottle and a Scotch pad, then wax. I make my own wax by melting Beeswax into mineral oil. None of what you have there is worth a pile of money. If the drills were in really good shape they would be worth some money. Restored; the collector can tell they are not original and they are not very desirable, such as if you repainted the wood. To restore them and try to pass them off as original will get you tarred and feathered. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is clean them up and save them for future generations, maybe build a toolbox for them. You would do better by learning tools and buying them at local auctions and reselling them, they would not have the sentimental value attached. I honestly think you would end up regretting that you sold them, unless you are looking at not eating any more for lack of funds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Check out www.wktools(dot)com for what can be done to those egg beaters.

I'm far from a Neander - but - those old egg beaters have a warm spot in my heart....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    For something like the divider, I use Simple Green in a spray bottle and a Scotch pad, then wax. I make my own wax by melting Beeswax into mineral oil. None of what you have there is worth a pile of money. If the drills were in really good shape they would be worth some money. Restored; the collector can tell they are not original and they are not very desirable, such as if you repainted the wood. To restore them and try to pass them off as original will get you tarred and feathered. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is clean them up and save them for future generations, maybe build a toolbox for them. You would do better by learning tools and buying them at local auctions and reselling them, they would not have the sentimental value attached I honestly think you would end up regretting that you sold them, unless you are looking at not eating any more for lack of funds.
    Thanks, I can swear these are the real thing. I will check the model numbers but I will bet they are from the 30's or 40's..

There is no doubt your drills are the real thing. I frequently buy drills like those for less than $20. To me it seems like if you sold them the money would soon be spent and your grandfathers tools would be lost forever. I'm concerned that even if you don't have much interest in them future generations will be interested. If you restored them and sold them you could get a little money for them, but not as much as your time is worth because collectors want tools in original condition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Moses has given some good advice on cleaning them. I'd definitely clean them and definitely keep them since they came from your ancestor. Even if you don't use them, they will have meaning to you and to your descendants.

When I buy something like that to use, I clean it up "like new" which may include painting it. But I wouldn't recommend that here since it's an heirloom.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

For really rusted tools, electrolysis works wonders. I have many old tools, and use the ones that I can. The rest are stored for the next generation. At least everything is already sorted for them.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I love restoring old tools. Its probably more of a hobby than woodworking even. Takes up little space and I love thd satisfaction. For dividers and the like I would use a fine wire wheel on a bench grinder. I use a HF 3/4 hp buffer/grinder. Then for small spaces use sandpaper or dremel. Its definitely worth it to restore them. If you dont want to restore a tool try selling it. Most people dont mind the patina at all for use, unless its really greasy.

Those hand drills look in good shape and maybe require some oil to the chuck is all. The dividers and bevel gauge are fairly easy to clean and will turn out looking great. Dont forget to oil or light wax after you remove all the rust.

If you're just maintaining them as keepsakes,
    a little fine oil applied with a toothbrush will do.

Nice to have a connection to our forebears.

I honestly think you would end up regretting that you sold them.
    To me it seems like if you sold them the money would soon be spent and your grandfathers tools would be lost forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'd definitely clean them and definitely keep them since they came from your ancestor. Even if you don't use them, they will have meaning to you and to your descendants.Mike

You guys are right on, not sure what I was thinking. I really have no need for most of them but if sold, they would be gone forever. I will just do a light cleaning, keeping them in their original condition. I do have a couple large dedicated tool boxes to store them in for future generations.

My hope is to have a larger shop sometime in the future. These old tools could be put on display, that would be really cool to me.

Thanks for all the responses and for helping me get my priorities right.