Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How early is too early to work outside?

LOL!
    Well, ends up it was a moot point (for today anyhow).

By the time I got everything outside and set up, the one new neighbor had dragged stuff out of the garage for a garage sale & a construction crew was busy making all kinds of noise at the other new neighbor

I fit right in!
    It was just about 9:30am.

FWIW - I plan on making the introductions as soon as they get all settled in.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Monday thru Saturday I believe 8:00 a.m. is fine. Sunday 10:00 a.m. If one of them works the graveyard shift then daytime is bothersome for them but they have to accept that with that kind of a job.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I would ask my neighbors.

My neighbors let their dog, who is probably about as loud as a router, each day at 7:30. After a brief conversation they let him out at 9 now.
    Their daughters love our dog. Go figure.
    +1 on this.

If it's really loud, ask when they'll be away.
    If they're uncooperative, call the zoning board.

They'll likely have a spec on what's legal.

Better to have tolerant neighbors, than ones that dislike you.

if they work nights or if someone is so sick that they are confine to the house then tell them in advance so that they can prepare for the noise

This thread really makes me appreciate living in the middle of a cornfield!!
    Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Ask the new neighbors, and introduce yourself. It will show you care about being a respectful neighbor.
    Best answer all day.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Earl
    Can't agree more.... I'm reading this thread and just chuckling at it One, because my nearest neighbor is a mile away, two because there ain't a soul in bed after 7 a'clock on a weekend let alone weekdays.... but different strokes for different folks. Oh and speaking of cornfields, i just finished trucking corn for the night at 9 so it comes with its pros and cons.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Ask the new neighbors, and introduce yourself. It will show you care about being a respectful neighbor.
    +1

That is your answer right there.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

It always astounds me when someone asks this kind of question on a public website rather than talking to their neighbors. GO ASK THEM! Maybe they get up at 6 am to get kids to school and then go to work and maybe they sleep until 10 am and maybe it depends on the day of the week. Either way, try to accommodate them. Running a loud router next door is more than very annoying so try to work it out with them. Then you can expect the same neighborly concern if they are planning something loud that might bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Earl
    You said it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm headed back to the hills as soon as this gig is up (if i survive another 4 years in yankee land)

I work late, not getting home until midnight or a bit later, and not in bed until 1230-100; I'd be ok with 9 am starts if I'm not working, 8 would be fine on a work day. These are personal preferences, not something I'd go to war over. (My brand new next door neighbors woke me at 4 am this morning, banging around, slamming doors, etc. WTHeck were they doing at that hour, since they quieted down about a half hour later?)

Be considerate is the rule.

It always astounds me when someone asks this kind of question on a public website rather than talking to their neighbors. GO ASK THEM!
    Well, one thing about asking here is that nearly everyone will know how loud the high pitched wail of a router can be.
    I'm not real sure the new neighbors would even know what a router or lunch box planer was until they heard one or the other being used.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

While I agree with most of the above I'd also offer the answer is relative to the tool. Woodturning and hand tool work is relatively quiet and can be done earlier than let's say running your router in the driveway. I'd say 9:00am is 'safe' for any day of the week save Sunday and then I'd go with 10:00am.

'This thread really makes me appreciate living in the middle of a cornfield!!'

When I lived in Helena, MT my nearest neighbor was about 1/2 mile away. I loved never worrying about how much noise I made.

I think anything after 8 a.m. should be fine. Yet I have to wonder, why did your old neighbors move? Just kidding.

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I try not to do anything loud outside before 10am on weekends.