Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brief review: Four miter gauges: 2 Incra + Osborne & Kreg

Brief review: Four miter gauges: 2 Incra + Osborne & Kreg

Ive been looking for a replacement miter gauge for my tablesaw for a long time. Ive been reading reviews here and other places and narrowed it down to one of four: Incra 1000HD ($160 - $170 on sale), Kreg Miter Gauge ($139 on sale), Osborne EB3 ($109 on sale) and Incra V120 ($79). But each of them has fans and detractors and it seems to come down to personal preference. Fast forward. I was on a business trip and visited the local Woodcraft one day after work - they have all 4 set up for demos. Good fortune, huh?

Like I said, each of these tools has a host of dedicated fans. And each of these seemed to be a nice tool. These are just my observations and preferences - YMMV.
    * V120. Smaller and lighter than I imagined. Its certainly usable on my TS, but Id rather have something more substantial. Probably a darn nice accessory for my bandsaw or a router table though. It has no fence, but you can make your own or add an Incra telescopic fence for about $45.

* Osborne. I liked this tool. It was light, but nicely balanced. The fence and stop were nice. I think the idea behind the design is great. For me, the down side was the mechanism used to set your angle. It was rock solid when locked - its one side of a triangle, after all. But the mechanism on the one I tested was sticky and the bar itself felt so lightweight I thought it might bend if the mechanism bound. I never saw any reviews complaining about that, so its probably just fine. But it just bugged me and I couldnt get past that.

* Kreg. I have their pocket hole jig and expected to like their miter gauge. But I just didnt. I didnt care for the mechanism used to set the angle. I liked the fence, and the stop. But overall, this tool didnt feel good in my hand. I came away thinking it felt too light and maybe a little too flexible. (Which is odd, because the Osborne is probably lighter. Like I said, this is all subjective.)

* 1000 HD. As soon as I handled this tool, I knew it was right for me. It was rock solid, just the right weight and had a superb (for me) angle adjustment mechanism. The fence was rigid, even when extended to 27". (Qualitatively, it felt like the smallest amount of flex of any in this bunch, just based on feel without actual measuring devices.) And it has a nice stop that has a lot of capability in and of itself. I really didnt need this Cadillac tool, but for me, just the FEEL of the thing was head and shoulders above the others. So I bought it.

The tool came out of the box square to my blade. It was easy to setup. Like others, I had to shim it to make get the fence perpendicular to the table. I had an easier time with that than some others have.

Anyway, I hope this will help someone else. For me, I think the biggest lesson learned is that you shouldnt just order a tool based on what you read - you ought to try and put your hands on it first, if possible.

YMMV.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have an Osbourne, and I hate it. Could never get it to cut square. So it sits on my wall beside my table saw, mocking me. Mocking. Me.
    Paul

I just ordered the Incra 1000 from Lee Valley today. I had 2 crappy miter gauges that had a ton over wobble in the slot. I thought of getting the Kreg but the incra had a better extension fence with it. With free shipping it cost about 2 bucks more than the Kreg after sales tax.
    Don

I have the Incra 2000, I don’t think the are available any longer. That said, it has been dead accurate for over 10 years. The 2000 isn’t perfect – it’s a bit of a pain to switch it over to the opposite miter slot but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Incra.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I needed a simple inexpensive replacement for my table saw miter gauge, bought an Icra V27 and its is probably as accurate as any other Incra miter gauges ,the only thing I'm not happy about is the 4 expansion points/glides need to be readjusted often so the miter bar can freely glide all the way in the miter slot.

Blog Entries
    I have the Incra 1000 SE and love it.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

+1 On the Incra 1000HD. I love mine, like yours, it was square right out of the box and I have checked it at many different settings and it's always exactly what is indicated. It also returns to 90° square after making angle cuts. Highly recommended.
    Earl

I had the Delta Version of the Osbourne and hated it. I have the Incra V27 and think that it is kind of small and best for the band saw or edge sander. My user is the Incra 1000. Once I got past the shimming of the fence to the table it has been accurate and repeatable.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 08-30-2014 at 11:45 PM.

JDS Accu-miter all the way. The cast head has a nice solid feel to it.

http://jdstools.com/accu-miter24-46.aspx

I have the incra 5000 but unless your cutting very long pieces the 3000 is just as good. The 5000 for me was overkill.

The Osborne has been fantastic for me. The miter settings are very accurate -- improved the accuracy/tightness of my miter cuts to the point where I sold off my sliding miter saw.

Rick

Great review. Thanks for posting. I have the Incra 1000 and I'm very happy with it. Mine has two fences (long and short) and it is sort of a PITA to change them but worth it when making the final cut.

I have used an Incra 1000 SE for 10 years or more. I sometimes make keepsake boxes in shapes that require real precision to fit and look good. The Incra always delivers.

Blog Entries
    I have the V-27 miter gauge with a wooden fence attached. It is aligned so the end of the fence locates the cut.
    It does everything I want it to do.

Happy with my V27 but I almost always use my sled with adjustable fence instead.