Thread: 55th wedding anniversary

Blog Entries

55th wedding anniversary

No, it's not mine, but my parents. They live well over a thousand miles away so I can't pop in and see what they need. They have most everything they want, so it is a bit difficult to find a gift for them. I have built nice boxes for each of them so another would be clutter.

So, what do you get for them for a 55th wedding anniversary present?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

It seems to me the thing they would want the most is some time with you. Honestly, at this point in their life anything else is probably just clutter. Maybe a framed family portrait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    It seems to me the thing they would want the most is some time with you. Honestly, at this point in their life anything else is probably just clutter. Maybe a framed family portrait.
    Moses, thanks I like the photo idea. I bring them out to visit 1-2 times per year.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Shawn, we celebrated our 61st in April and raised a large family. We are very fortunate, all our kids except one, and grandkids live within about a 30 minute drive.
    Regardless how often we see them, it's always nice if they drop by. It's better than any present.
    I understand, it's somewhat difficult for you.
    By any standard 55 is quite a blessing and acomplishment
    Regards,

Tim

Blog Entries
    Shawn,

Just a few suggestions - Probably anything you made them, If they're sports fans maybe sweatshirts or jerseys of a team they like, Maybe a gift card to a really nice restaurant.

Not an easy gift selection to make I'm sure.

A 55 year marriage is quite the accomplishment. Good for them.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Thanks! Good ideas all. Unfortunately they don't like sports. I send them restaurant gift certificates four times per year.

Yes, 55 is quite an accomplishment. Their parents were married 60 (Father's parents) and 62 (Mother's parents) years before one of them passed. We tend to live a long time. My grandmother died a year ago and she was 98. I aim to beat them all.
    Shawn

My father is in a similar situation, in that he is content and has no wants or needs I can provide. In the past I have donated to his favorite charity for his birthday and Christmas. This however might not be worthy of a 55 th anniversary. Now that I think of it my parents 55 the is coming up in October.

Well, for our 50th this April, the gift my wife really liked was a metal picture frame that looks silver, that is engraved with "50 years" and had our names and the dates of the wedding and anniversary on it. I imagine it will be handed down.

Of course, my favorite gift was a gift card from In and Out. Sentimental old fool.

Rick Potter

If you decide on a picture, maybe you could dig up an old picture of where they met or a favorite place they went on dates. Those kind of scenes stir the emotions that bring back wonderful memories.

+1 to something you make; those gifts are always appreciated.

Maybe you could make or get a plaque lasered telling them how much you appreciate them always being together for you.

Good Luck in your selection. I am sure they will love whatever you do for them.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

For my 98 year old grandmother I shoot for consumable items as gifts--interesting jams/jellies or sauces (especially ones local to me that she can't find near her), bird seed or suet cakes, Hickory Farms gift boxes (one of her favorites), or an occasional flower arrangement to brighten her apartment for a while. She also likes the cookies my daughter and I bake for her. Although not lasting, they do remind her that we are thinking of her even though we are 350 miles apart.

Matt

Tauck Tours River cruises through Europe.

Memories, they've got.
    http://www.tauck.com/river-cruises.aspx

Hi Shawn, congratulations to your parents.

In Canada, a wedding anniversary of 50 years or more entitles you to a certificate from the Governor General, and at 60 years or more one from the Queen ( or King as applicable).

I have ordered the above several times for different people, they look great when given as a framed gift.

Obviously you won't be able to apply for the above, however can you obtain something like this from Congress or the White House?

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Rod- brilliant idea! I missed this years, but I'll mark it for next year!
    Shawn

A family photo - a pro job, nicely framed [you can find a source for a nice frame, right?]. They will see that every day, and will proudly show it to their friends.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.