Thread: Im looking for parts for a...

Im looking for parts for a...

1960s Shopmaster 10" bandsaw. I have a post over on OWWM but no one seems to have any parts for this particular saw. I am looking for a blade guide, have one but need two and I need a knob for the blade cover/door. First two photos are the guide I need and then a pic of the knob, guides and machine without the wheels. My thoughts were to use the saw with a 1/8th or 3/16th blade for scrolling work but if I can find these two parts I guess I will have to put it on CL. Anyway, the blade guide rests in a post hole and spins on its shaft. The shaft is 11/64ths diameter so it is very thin. I had thought about having a machine shop make one but afraid it will cost way more than the saw cost me (almost free). Was really hoping when I purchased the saw that a carter blade guide/stabilizer for the 1/8th blade would fit it but after taking the machine apart the guide assemblies are unique to this saw....any help would be great.

Jack

20140812_191152.jpg 20140812_191229.jpg20140811_195315.jpg20140811_194539.jpg20140811_194824.jpg20140811_194855.jpg
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

This may or may not help you....

Years ago I had an old Sears band saw that had that same type back up for the blade, and it was beyond help. I happened to have a valve off a Briggs and Stratton motor. I hacksawed the length of the valve stem down and used it for several years.

As to the knob...if it has a standard thread, possibly you can use a knob available from Rockler. They have 1/4" and 3/8" knobs. McMaster Carr has all kinds of them in their on line catalog. Actually, all you need to do is find a bolt that fits and epoxy a wooden wheel to it.

I too have an old craftsman band saw that I use for scroll work with a 1/8" blade. The thrust bearing and the blade guides are just like your saw. I use the graphite zero clearance guides. Maybe a post on the vintage site for craftsman thrust bearing would be fruitful - there are lots of these old saws still around.

Thanks I'll look for a craftsman part and see what pops up.

Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006