Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing bench planes under the bench

Guess it might make sense if placing storage drawers or shelves under a bench to build them into free floating/loose modular boxes or whatever - that way they could always be lifted out if needed, or repositioned or whatever...

+1 on the use of tool trays Winton - I have lots of stackable plastic work totes bought used from a factory that was closing down. (like extra robust filing trays with the fronts in) I load the tools for the job in hand into a tray like you do. The frequent use layout, marking and measuring stuff all goes in a small metal toolbox bought on sale at a local box store which can be placed where convenient - a similar layout to this one: http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...nlyStore=false

The engineering related stuff goes in a full size mechanics mobile tool cabinet in a small sharpening/eng room next door

Rather than fixed assembly, outfeed and the like tables i also have four of these cheap and very solid IKEA kitchen trolleys in what is a very small shop. http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/30240348/ They make good mobile small work tables, places to place tools/tool trays while in use, two or three ganged up make the outfeed table on my table saw, or an assembly table. (the plan is to build some plys tops with batons underneath to drop over and enclose two or four trolleys)

ian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    David, as I was just getting a few things setup in the new shop I actually had a few stacks of milk crates hanging around and they indeed collected the things I was using to make the TS out feed and side tables along with a couple small cabinets. I found myself dragging those crates around the shop as I worked so your dual saw bench has merit and may very well fit my work habits. Plus, I need to make a saw bench since I don't have one
    The only reason I mentioned two saw benches was because it's tempting to do that when you have one, but at some point you'll turn around with a board looking for a saw bench to saw it on. And then find one with two or three planes on it. I guess a second saw bench could be useful for ripping some boards, but I really haven't run into the situation where I've needed more than one (except to hold tools).

Jim,
    That is an interesting work bench; the black base, the tail vise (I haven't come across one like that before) and the hand wheels without the perpendicular spinner handles that could knock you as you go by.
    Thanks for the photos.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    My bench planes, adjusting hammers, a square and planing stops live in a tote
    beneath my bench. It has cutouts for easy carrying, but that hasn't happened to date.

The only downside is the occasional shaving that finds it's way in, and the need for a flashlight.
    (It's dark, under there.)

Attachment 295884Attachment 295885
    Jim, looks like you have a couple HNT's, a Voigt and a Cohen?...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    Jim, looks like you have a couple HNT's, a Voigt and a Cohen?...
    It's the Voigt that gets a workout, these days.
    My go to is an HNT jack plane that I got for a song.

I'm not thrilled about the HNT smoother, it's too big to be comfortable.
    The Voigt is just right.

I traded for the HNT jointer, which is excellent.
    (I never liked the big cast iron types.)

The last is a Philly miter plane that I traded some magic beans to get.
    Haven't used it, yet.

Nobody notices the big rubber persuader.
    That's the tool I use most.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Jim,
    That is an interesting work bench; the black base, the tail vise (I haven't come across one like that before) and the hand wheels without the perpendicular spinner handles that could knock you as you go by.
    Thanks for the photos.
    I did not build this, but was planning to adapt my bench with a permanent Moxxon.
    (I saw this in a video by David Barron and had plans to rebuild my benchtop.)

The sliding vise at the end is a PITA. It's jammed, because the wood insert tightened with the Summer humidity.
    I can't call that a convenience.

The only downside to the Moxxon as a face vise is racking;
    anything that is less than 1/2 the chop height makes it deflect.

I work with thin stock, and that forces me to handle it on top - which is less secure.

It's a nice bench and I got it for little more than the cost of materials.