Thread: Packwood - US Highway 12 Rust Hunt

Blog Entries

Packwood - US Highway 12 Rust Hunt

This summer while talking to another vendor at the Farmers Market he told me of the "longest yard sale in the Northwest."

On Memorial day and Labor day weekends there is a regular event of people having yard sales and a big event in the town of Packwood, WA.

Mel Miller mentioned picking up a broad axe during his hunt there.

I found a few things not so unique:

Packwood Rust Hunt.jpg

All told it was about $35 and like I really need another plane. This one is a KeenKutter K3. It is a little rough but should clean up to be a good user.

The 'file' is broken but has a pattern like a Nicholson shear cut. This one says "Superior, Made in U.S.A., Standard. The teeth are a bit clogged with what looks like plaster. It felt at least as sharp as my Nicholson. It has a half round profile. Shouldn't take to long to pick the teeth clean. It will likely get a new handle.

Right near the junction of I-5 and US 12 is an auction house/antique store. He had a few planes on the shelf including a Stanley/Bailey type 6 #8 and a KeenKutter KK8.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-31-2014 at 1:06 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is a lead float. It does not have the offset teeth of the Nicholson super shear. Those offset teeth,and their chip breaker grooves are what allow the super shear to cut smoothly without chattering.

Lead floats were commonly used in auto body repair.Not that they have used lead for many years,except possibly by custom body work as in hot rodders.

Blog Entries
    Those offset teeth,and their chip breaker grooves are what allow the super shear to cut smoothly without chattering.
    I gave it a few quick strokes across some cedar end grain and it cut a smooth groove with the round side.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim,

Looks like you did good, especially if the K3 turns out well. The logging stuff wouldn't help me.....we have some, but not many, trees in the panhandle.

Stew