Thread: Semi sharpening jig

Blog Entries

Semi sharpening jig

Some of the recent articles about sharpening without water on ceramic stones got me thinking about the Spyderco sharpening system for knives I have used for decades. I'm not sure it is accurate to call it a sharpening jig. The plastic base for the triangular stones simply mounts the stones at 25 degrees. All the user has to do is hold the knife being sharpened at a much easier to see 90 degrees and move it length wise against the stone. This system gives the user a more accurate system for maintaining a consistent bevel angle without having to mount the object being sharpened in some mechanical devise. Neither does the user have to run the jig over the stones. Basically the user is hand sharpening without having to feel and maintain the bevel against the stone.

I just bought two 2'x 8" Spyderco stones. It occurred to me that I could make a plywood base that would hold the stones at a given angles just like the Spyderco base that comes with the triangular Spyderco knife sharpening system. I was thinking about making two places in the base one for 25 degree sharpening and one for 30 degrees.

A simple block of wood cut at the proper angle on one end could hold the stones at the right angle. Two smaller blocks on either side of the stone, cut at the same angle could be clamped against the sides of the stone to hold it in place. One or two bolts, with wing nuts, through all three pieces of wood should hold the stone in the base. I think I could then sharpen chisels and plane blades by hand using this devise and not have to worry about holding on a bevel angle.

I tried sharpening a couple plane blades on my Spyderco knife sharpener. The small stone surface was not great and the two stones were not necessary, one was just in the way? The base was also too light for the larger, heavier plane blades. Even with the problems the results were good. I was wondering if anyone has tried this or knows some reason it want work?

Those type jigs are for sharpening kitchen knives,mostly. Not trying to run your idea down,but it is better to learn how to sharpen tools freehand. That way,you aren't wedded into a fixed blade angle.

All the user has to do is hold the knife being sharpened at a much easier to see 90 degrees and move it length wise against the stone.
    I too have been passively wondering how that would work.

Great minds think a like . . .
    but until those guys show up that leaves you and I . . .

I partly agree with George there is the problem of being
    wedded into a fixed blade angle.
    AND needing more than one grit size to refine the edges.

adjustable stone angle solves that I suppose. Personally I was never able to make friends with my angled ceramic rod "sharpener" mostly because the rods were so fine and hard they failed to do anything to the edge of a dull blade.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-31-2014 at 6:48 PM. Reason: Deleted dry stone comment.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Oh Bob I got started and can't stop.
    As far as sharpening dry and by hand note the two pieces of Norton (old USA Norton) sharpening stone (white 4000 and yellow 8000) next to a small example of the pocket knives and small tools they sharpen.
    By hand
    often dry

There is still black stuff on them from the last touch up.
    These are within arms reach of the couch where you all usually find me these days.
    But still I must rinse and clean the stones every knife or two.

Not scene are the two small diamond grit paddles that often precede these two stones, while sharpening my pocket knives on the couch. The diamond paddles I keep in my "wallet" OK . . .
    . . . .
    gulp . . .
    man purse. There I said it.
    It is well hidden in my bike bag though. I only take it out at home.
    . . .
    shame . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-31-2014 at 6:51 PM. Reason: Deleted offensive dry stone comment
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    The Spyderco triangular stone base has places for two stones. I have the Spyderco UF (white) and medium (brown) 2x8" stones. Although these two stones may not handle everything, I think they might serve well as touch up and polishing stones. My idea was to still have two places for stones but use one for the white and one for the brown stone, both on the same base. I was thinking of making two bases one for 25 & one for 30 degrees.

I was thinking the Spyderco stones would be on a shelf in my shop all set up & ready to use at the bench, for touching up blades being used. All my water stones and diamond plates would remain at the sink in the adjoining room. Larger sharpening jobs like reestablishing bevels, removing chips...could be done where there is running water and a full size, water safe table.