Thread: Finish Recommendation Needed

Finish Recommendation Needed

I am working on a project and could use some recommendations. I renovated my bathroom and with a couple minor things will be done. During demo we found 12 in wide boards on the walls. The misses wants a couple of shelves out of the wood for photos and other decorative items, what would be the best finish for the bathroom? I was thinking shellac or lacquer, but any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I am working on a project and could use some recommendations. I renovated my bathroom and with a couple minor things will be done. During demo we found 12 in wide boards on the walls. The misses wants a couple of shelves out of the wood for photos and other decorative items, what would be the best finish for the bathroom? I was thinking shellac or lacquer, but any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bryan
    For a bathroom in New Jersey? I'm thinking a marine varnish would be the best long term solution, especially since they're going to be horizontal surfaces. Lacquer and shellac aren't as rough and tough, BUT they're also a lot easier to repair if needed. If you go with lacquer, make sure everybody knows not to be setting dripping nail polish remover brushes on the shelf...
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

John

thanks for the reply, I am not close to the ocean, but it is worth considering. Also the shelves are for decorative things like pictures, basket with towels, or other things the misses wants.

Nail polish remover is the bane of ANY finish (available to the homeowner). I have a 10 year old daughter who has tested this well.

Marine varnish is not needed. It is NOT more water resistant that good oil based interior varnish. (It's merits are UV resistance, and flexibility since boats flex quite a bit.) I'd apply a coat or two of shellac and topcoat with a good varnish, such as Pratt & Lambert 38 or Waterlox.