Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decent square

Blog Entries

Decent square

I have two squares I've had around for a long time. I went to square up the fence on the new cross cut sled I'm trying to finish and one square says dead on the other shows 1/16th" off. I guess I could use a decent square around the shop anyway so are there any suggestions for a new one? Thanks, Sean

The squares are carpenter's square? You can adjust it if you know how to use a ball peen hammer. You do know ho to check a square for accuracy, too? Do You?
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 08-31-2014 at 5:22 PM.

Large drafting squares for something like you are doing because hey lay flat. For everything else anything from Woodpecker or a precision square from Incra.

It is surprising to me just how bad out of square the framing squares sometimes are at the big box stores. You can hold two of the same model together and they will be different. They are not trustworthy as you have seen. To get a really good and large square, you have to pay a relatively high price (see above). A really good way to check for squareness with a sled is using a set of calipers and the "Five Cut" method. This link offers simple instructions.

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/five_cut_method_swf.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    The squares are carpenter's square? You can adjust it if you know how to use a ball peen hammer. You do know ho to check a square for accuracy, too? Do You?
    I'll bite! I would like to hear more on these topics please!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    One was a carpenter square and the other an L shaped piece of crap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    It is surprising to me just how bad out of square the framing squares sometimes are at the big box stores. You can hold two of the same model together and they will be different. They are not trustworthy as you have seen. To get a really good and large square, you have to pay a relatively high price (see above). A really good way to check for squareness with a sled is using a set of calipers and the "Five Cut" method. This link offers simple instructions.

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/five_cut_method_swf.htm
    I haven't even got to the Five Cut method which I will do. I'm just trying to square it up as close as I can before hand to temporarily lock it down to do the five cut method.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirby View Post

I'll bite! I would like to hear more on these topics please!
    You use a center punch to stretch the metal/corner one way or the other.
    If the angle is too small, several punches to the inside, on both sides of the square.
    If it is too large of an angle, punches to the outside.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You use a center punch to stretch the metal/corner one way or the other.
    If the angle is too small, several punches to the inside, on both sides of the square.
    If it is too large of an angle, punches to the outside.
    I've never used the punches before in adjusting my square, but it does seem to be the more common consensus. I've however was taught by old timers years ago (I'm almost an old timer) to peen the corner of the square to adjust "in" or "out" . To adjust "in"... peen outside corner of square. To adjust "out"...peen the inside corner.

I bought a good quality machinists square, 10 inch, at some place like MSC I think. It was Chinese. I checked it to make sure it is square and use it to check the other squares I use. If you have the money Inca is great but it is not really necessary to spend that much money. If I remember right mine cost about $25.
    Last edited by Moses Yoder; 08-31-2014 at 6:49 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

It's easy to find the old tapered steel squares at yard sales. Some are pretty accurate as found, when they are off I file them. They used to be sold in more sizes than they are today, I have one 24x 17 and one 24 x18.

Blog Entries
    If you adjust a square that is off, how do you know your adjusting it to be spot on?

Blog Entries
    I have a Starrett combination square and also a Lee Valley prevision square. They both are dead on accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    If you adjust a square that is off, how do you know your adjusting it to be spot on?
    You keep trying till you have it. Sneak it in. Alternate sides. Give her a moderate blow and check. When you got it, stop it! Now, I suppose you gonna wanna know how to tell is a square is square!?! Drum rollllllllll!

I have this one for shop use, I'm pretty happy with it. A few years after I bough it I was clearing out my FIL's house for sale, his father had a friend who worked for Stanley way back when, used to bring him lots of toys. I found three old steel squares in pretty decent condition, one had a full 3/16" plate thickness, all were as accurate as my eyes are capable of recognizing. So look out for those at estate sales. This one is shinier though! To test them you take a piece of plywood with a straight edge, put the short leg to the left parallel to the straight edge, draw a perpendicular line to the reference edge. Then flip the square 180 degrees, start it in the same location relative to the straight edge, draw another line. If these two lines are on top of each other, its square. If they diverge.....not so square. The more they diverge the more out of square it is. Remember most carpenter squares are made to measure square accurately along their outside edge, the inside is more for angles and pitches, to check outside corners you need another square. I can't count how many guys I've seen trying to check an outside corner with a carpenters square. You can try that ball peen hammer thing, I've yet find that a very precise way of adjusting anything. Maybe close enough for framers?