Thread: A Test For The Handsaw Experts

A Test For The Handsaw Experts

Who made this handsaw? I am not going to show the etch, but I am not sure it would help. The handle is very distinctive. I will say it is American made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't know beans about old saws but I am enjoying looking at it. No chip carving on the handle that's interesting.
    How long and wide is it ?
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

It is 26" long and 6 1/2" wide. There is currently one for sale on eBay which does have a chip carved handle.

Not an expert, by any measure.

Atkins?

Blog Entries
    I am no expert, but do know that the "Warranted Superior" logo was used on off-brand saws made by Disston. The handle is a rip handle with a thumb grip at top. I really like the handle. I don't have anything else to add. I thought by now someone knowledgeable would have given all the minute details.

Here is a little hint, maybe... The etch incorporates a globe.

I don't know what the etches look like, but the handle itself looks like wheeler, madden and clemson.....almost, but not quite I guess.

The Wheeler, Madden, and Clemson hits close enough. It is made by Monhagen Saw Works but is one of the vendor named saws. The etch is mostly gone but the Monhagen Saw Works date 1853 is easily readable.

This is what the chip tote looks like. (Not my saw)
    http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...Number=6658794
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it was made by Wheeler Madden Clemson, but given the globe hint, I will say it is a Zenith. Zenith was a warranted superior brand made for Marshall Wells Hardware, I think.
    Pat