Thread: Need help finding an electrical switch

Need help finding an electrical switch

I'm looking for a single pole, double throw, center off switch - Decora style in light almond. I found this one but it's pricey - a bit over $50. Wonder if anyone knows of a less expensive one. I will use it to control a two speed attic fan. So the double throw will do the high and low speeds, and the center off will turn it off.

I could go with two switches, one a three way (which is actually a single pole, double throw) and a separate switch to turn the fan off and on, but I'd prefer not to have to increase the size of the box.

And, yes, I could use a stacked switch (two three way switches in the space of one switch) but I'd prefer not to.

Looks like this. Any ideas, pointers, etc. appreciated.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried Home Depot? They sell this type by Lutron. I am not sure about the center off double throw, but they have many variations. Just beware of the switch with the little sliding dimmer next to the switch. Two of two have gone bad for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Have you tried Home Depot? They sell this type by Lutron. I am not sure about the center off double throw, but they have many variations. Just beware of the switch with the little sliding dimmer next to the switch. Two of two have gone bad for me.
    Thanks, for the suggestion - I have looked there. The single pole, double throw, center off is an unusual switch, but one I need for a two speed fan. A dimmer type switch will not work for this situation.

I'm sure the price reflects the fact that not many people need that type of switch so they don't sell very many.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, the list price for that switch is $110. What kind of Unobtanium is it filled with?

I found it for less but only in quantities of four or more. What if any requirements would you be willing to relax to drop the price? But then in that case you probably can find a solution without any help.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    Mike, the list price for that switch is $110. What kind of Unobtanium is it filled with?

I found it for less but only in quantities of four or more. What if any requirements would you be willing to relax to drop the price? But then in that case you probably can find a solution without any help.

-Tom
    Tom - I found it for about $50 on Amazon - look here. I found on a bit cheaper at a fan place but after I pay their shipping it would be close to $50 (and I wouldn't get it for maybe a week, or more) so I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon (with free two day shipping).

I think it's expensive because it's kind of an oddball. The manufacturer has to make a certain number of them and distribute them, and they don't sell a lot of them - so the unit cost is high. If every house had to have one of these, they'd be a few dollars. Certainly there's not any real extra cost to make a single pole double throw, center off. A "three way" switch is a single pole, double throw (but not center off) and those are about $5.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-01-2014 at 8:10 PM.

McMaster has what you want for ~ $10 or $50 for a 30 amp rated one.

I don't see anything at McMaster-Carr that is a Decora style switch that meets his needs. Maybe I missed it.

MSRPs on electrical products are ridiculous. Standard breakers I have seen with MSRPs of about $50 each even though they sell for $5 or less at home improvement stores.

MSRPs are what they are...suggested.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Not sure if this will satisfy your needs........on eBay:
    Leviton 5685-W Decora Plus Rocker Switch SP 15A White

Keep in mind.... it's rated for 15 amps.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 09-02-2014 at 7:50 PM.

Thanks for finding that, Bill. I would have preferred to find it in light almond but for the price I probably would have bought it. But I already bought the one off Amazon.

15 amps would not be a problem. The fan motor is certainly less than 1 HP (maybe not even a half HP) and that would equal less than 15 amps.

Mike

FYI. The double throws at HD are in the ceiling fan section. I just bought one a month ago. One side for the light and other for the fan.

by the way there not the easiest to find in the store.
    Last edited by Don Jarvie; 09-02-2014 at 8:41 PM. Reason: Edit
    Don