Thread: Help identifying No. 4 plane with odd parts

Help identifying No. 4 plane with odd parts

Hello all,

this is my first post to the Creek. I have read quite a bit and will make some more post soon regarding my woodworking hobby i.e. buying old tools.

I have questions regarding a "Stanley No. 4 plane" I bought last year as with the more I learn, the more I start trying to improve my tools.
    DSCN0239-b.jpg

My brother-in-law's Bailey pattern No. 4 is on the left for comparison. Mine says USA No. 4 only, has a Stanley "kidney" lever cap and kind of looks the part.

DSCN0240-b.jpg

On this side view you might be able to make out the lateral adjustment lever, which looks like it is off a Sargent plane according to websites I have read.

DSCN0241-b.jpg

On this rear picture, you can see how short the base of the handle is.

DSCN0242-b.jpg

This probably would help the most. There is no adjustment screw for the frog. The frog itself feels quite light: I can't get a magnet to stick to it so that would suggest it is aluminum, but there are spots of rust. Distressed high density plastic?

Anyway, I can get curly shavings to come out of this plane, but I see some shortcomings. I would like to know what it is. Coincidentally, I have a No. 5 that has the exact same frog, Sargent lever, same lettering in the casting, and handle. I bought the No. 4 and No.5 from different people on Ebay.

Thank you. Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Jude,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate a location. You may live near another member who would be willing to show you the ways of determining the age of planes. There is also the link below.

Your plane in the image is of a more recent manufacture. I am not able to pinpoint an exact date or even decade.

As best I can determine from the picture, your brother-in-laws plane is a type 15. According to the type study at rexmill.com it was made in 1931 or '32.

The type study doesn't go beyond 1967.

https://home.comcast.net/~rarebear/p...ing/typing.htm

There are many instances of the type study not being an exact document. There are a few places where old parts were used before some changes took full effect and other variations that were missed when the type studies were composed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is a very late Stanley plane. Not in the typing charts, probably from the '70s I would guess given the orange trademark on the lever cap. It looks to be in great shape, if it works well then you have a good user.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I don't think its a Stanley. It looks to me like someone took a lever cap off a newer Stanley and put it on another plane. I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

I regrind mostly Baileys and I can asure you the only thing on your plane that is Stanley is the lever cap and it is from a very late plane given it has yellow paint.
    The thing that I don't understand is if you want to take some material off. what difference does it make as to what type the plane is or if it is a Stanley Bailey at all? If it cuts for you use it. You have it and there is no further cost to you and it really doesn't make any difference to the board.

My truck is all rusted out, but it will still get me to the store a 1/4 mile away to get a loaf of bread. Will a Cadillac get me there any faster or make any other difference?

Use it and get on with your life.
    Tom

Thanks guys.

It also looks to me like someone got the lever cap off a Stanley and put it on another plane. What gets me is that the plane is marked No. 4 like a Stanley and the lever adjuster is off a Sargent. The frog looks like it mates with the sole by design. The No. 5 I have shows the exact same setup. Weird.

Stanley went to that type of lateral lever about 1962 or so. They had the old "Whale Tail" versions for a while, then crimped the two sides in. IMAG0068.jpglate 50s "Lakeside" aka Stanley Handyman style.

Thanks, Steven. What I have looks similar to Lakeside and some Handyman photos I have seen after I read your comment.

This will give an idea o the later style lat's https://timetestedtools.wordpress.co...ur-hand-plane/