Thread: Trade in

Trade in

Is there a company that allows trade ins for an upgrade on engravers? I am looking to use my machine as a trade in for an upgrade. Is this possible? Does anyone know if there is a company out there that does this?

You are about a 1 hour and 20 minute drive from Golden, CO - perhaps a call to Epilog ( located in Golden ) and a subsequent followup trip ( if the phone conversation is successful ) might be indicated. - That's a start. - I see in your profile you have Rabbit - so best of luck there.
    Last edited by Greg Bednar; 09-01-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Blog Entries
    If it's a name-brand laser (Epilog, ULS, Trotec, etc.), they'll likely give you a token amount for the laser, depending upon value (say, 20% of the value). If it's a Chinese brand, no chance.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Just like with a car, sell it yourself and you will get several times more out of it than trading it in. The value of a trade-in is usually the amount they can take off the price anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Just like with a car, sell it yourself and you will get several times more out of it than trading it in. The value of a trade-in is usually the amount they can take off the price anyway...

I've offered 4k on the trade in of 14 year old universal lasers. So it really depends on the product you are trading in.

-Kevin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregerson View Post
    I've offered 4k on the trade in of 14 year old universal lasers. So it really depends on the product you are trading in.
    The laser tubes don't really go bad... a simple overhaul (regas and possibly swap out the RF boards) and its good to go. That alone is nearly $4k worth... essentially it's good will you're buying beyond that. Seems like a good deal. Company gets a working tube they can swap out when another goes bad, and the customer feels like they didn't walk away with nothing.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I would say sell it yourself. If it's working you should be able to move it quickly and at a far better price than trading it in. That also puts you in a far better negotiating position as you would then be open to play the field.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Brandie Thrasher View Post
    Is there a company that allows trade ins for an upgrade on engravers? I am looking to use my machine as a trade in for an upgrade. Is this possible? Does anyone know if there is a company out there that does this?
    What machine are you trying to trade or sell????
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    The laser tubes don't really go bad... a simple overhaul (regas and possibly swap out the RF boards) and its good to go. That alone is nearly $4k worth... essentially it's good will you're buying beyond that. Seems like a good deal. Company gets a working tube they can swap out when another goes bad, and the customer feels like they didn't walk away with nothing.
    Rebuilding the machine and turning it around for 50 percent more is usually what we see since universal lasers systems are so easily rebuilt back to new spec. Normally we resell these systems for 6-10k depending on the system and how far we've upgraded it as they can be pretty easily upgraded with new wiring and cpu boards with usb connections. But for the customers side, yes, rebuilding the system and selling it is the way to go if your time doesn't mean a lot. I'd venture to guess a customer that doesn't know what they are doing will spend between 8-16 hours rebuilding the system to bring it back into a 6-8k range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    What machine are you trying to trade or sell????
    My guess its the Chinese made Rabbit Laser he was having problems with...
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10