Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice: Box does not sit flat on table (hand cut joints)

Without a picture, I may be not understanding, but cutting it up and starting again seems pretty drastic. Just adjust the edges to make it sit flat. As noted, sandpaper, planes, or even tablesaws can make the slight adjustments.

BTW, similar adjustments are common in drawers and frame and panel doors. Warps can happen and need to be dealt with all the time. You can minimize the chances with certain practices, but they often creep in anyway.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lindberry View Post
    My thought is that perhaps one of the boards opposite the high corner has a bit of wind/twist. If the bottom of either of those is twisted inward, it could be causing your problem.
    This will certainly do it - I has what I thought was a flat board, and was surprised at how much just a little twist wonked out my drawer box.

I get the same problem. There are two causes: twist of individual boards or (more likely in my (in)experience) not cross-cutting the ends perfectly square to the long sides. BJ jigs usually reference off that end. So, the two ends will go together perfectly with no concern for how the sides line up. The bad thing is that the longer the side, the more the error is magnified.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate the kind encouragement, pictures and advice. I think youre right - its also mportant to learn to correct my hand tool mistakes. So Ill try to correct it as you suggest.

As always, thank you!
    Fred