Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life is too short for cheap Band Aids.

Life is too short for cheap Band Aids.

I take a blood thinner. It and previous sun damage leave my skin very thin and prone to tearing. At least three times a week I use band aids to cover new cuts, and I go through them pretty fast. I even carry them in my wallet.

I like the fabric, flexible type of band aid, and for quite a while have used Curad brand strips from the local discount store. They only stay on a day or so, & come loose when I sweat, or wash up. Recently we bought a box of genuine Band Aid flexible strips. They are 1" wide rather than the 3/4" I have been using, and they stay on forever. They also have the pad going all the way from side to side, so air can get in and heal faster. I had a couple on my arm that lasted two weeks, including sweat and showers.

What a difference.......like the title says..

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    It's all fun and games until you want to take the bandage off I would have thought with your thin skin you'd want one that comes off without insane tear strength.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

There is a product named "Skin Prep" that aids in adhesion and protection of skin tears upon removal of adhesive dressings.

You can get tape that will only stick to itself, not to the skin.
    You buy pads and the tape and put a pad on and then the tape around it and it works great.

I have my blood checked every 6 months and this is what they have been using and it is really nice, it just come right off, no pulling the skin or anything like that.

The two I have used so far came off just fine. I also noticed they do not seem to irritate my skin like some do. I have no skin in this game (sic), just reporting on a good product.

I have also tried the New Skin liquid bandage. It works well for small cuts, if you wait till after it stops bleeding. Smells like fingernail polish to me.

RP

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I also noticed they do not seem to irritate my skin like some do.
    After a large-microplane-grater-versus-finger-knuckle incident I tried a Band-Aid brand latex bandaid that was pre-treated with some antibacterial stuff. Not sure whether it was the latex or the adhesive or whatever, but it caused me to break out in a very severe blistery rash throughout the area where the bandaid stuck to my finger. That wasn't fun. I went back to the flexible fabric ones...

I like the New Skin liquid bandage too!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

soaking the BandAid in warm water may help;a roll of electric tape will hold a bandage also
    this tape will stick to itself but will pull off of the skin easy

The worst part for me removing bandages is the hair - if it's not a crazy cut, and I'm at home, I shave near the cut first- it makes pulling off the bandage a lot less terrifying.

Blog Entries
    The Band Aid brand flexible fabric bandaids are great. I learned that a while back. They also make a heavy duty flexible fabric bandage that are even more sturdy for areas which are subject to abuse like hands or feet. I can't abide by the flimsy plastic bandages.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Duct tape or painters tape and paper towels. The woodworkers original band-aid.
    I know what you mean by your title. There are some items you just need to turn loose of the coins and get the good stuff.
    Last edited by Jim Rimmer; 09-03-2014 at 2:17 PM. Reason: Posted too quick

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    After a large-microplane-grater-versus-finger-knuckle incident I tried a Band-Aid brand latex bandaid that was pre-treated with some antibacterial stuff. Not sure whether it was the latex or the adhesive or whatever, but it caused me to break out in a very severe blistery rash throughout the area where the bandaid stuck to my finger. That wasn't fun. I went back to the flexible fabric ones...
    My wife has the identical reaction. I believe it's a latex allergy.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I like the hydro colloidal bandages.

http://woundcareadvisor.com/apple-bites_vol2_no3/

Jim, I thought I was the only guy using paper towels and masking tape. I use it till the bleeding stops, then put on a good bandage.

Here is a quick larger dressing for an emergency..........a feminine pad and a roll of masking tape. Recommended to us in EMT training years ago by a nurse instructor.

RP
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-04-2014 at 3:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Duct tape or painters tape and paper towels. The woodworkers original band-aid.
    You might laugh, but I actually bought a box of duct tape bandages a few years back. They are what they say - silver duct tape made into bandages. A quick search of the interwebzes found this - same ones. I use them when I want the bandage to stay on a long time, and they are great. Stronger adhesive, but not tear-skin-off strong.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.