Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite shooting plane?

Favorite shooting plane?

Other than a $$$ dedicated shooting plane, what's your go to plane for shooting?
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Lie-Nielsen 62 or Stanley #6 are my usual shooting planes. I also have a Low angle Krenov style plane I left square I have been using some lately.

Don't really have ONE plane for this. I tend to use the right size for the item being planed. Have a small stick to trim? M-F#1455 will do. Slightly larger, maybe? Like a 1x3? I use a M-F#8 or #9

Wider pieces will get either a #5 or a #6. Chutting Jig will use about any size I have. Main thing is that the iron is sharp and square at the point where it touches the wood. A bit of wax on the side of the plane also helps.

I dropped the cash for a LN #51. Love it.

LV's is cheaper, ya know. And from what Derek has shown, somewhat better in iron durability. If you're shooting mitres a lot, it might be worth it.

Just a thought.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

My shop built low angle bevel down miter plane or my LN #9. Both see use in shooting (don't do it much, but they are the go-tos for that) and in other tasks.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Stanley #6. Not really favorite, it kind of hurts my hand, but it does the job. I don't feel like spending huge amounts of money on something I don't use much.

Lee Valley Low-Angle Jack seemed to be the favorite discussed on forums, up until the dedicated shooters arrived.

The Lie Nielsen low-angle Jack has a hot-dog attachment that might make that a good choice.

Matt

LV Jack. Not ergonomic. A dedicated shooter is worth it

Blog Entries
    Before getting the Veritas dedicated shooting plane, I used the Veritas low angle jack. It worked great and made it really hard to justify the dedicated shooter, but once I got it I was very glad I did. The LN Low Angle Jack would likely be just as good a candidate, especially with the hotdog attachment, but I stuck with Veritas for the ability to swap blades between all my LA planes.

Blog Entries
    My choice for a shooting board plane has changed a few times. Mostly due to an old shoulder injury.

Here is a post on using a #6:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ng-Board-Plane

A #65 block plane also works well.

My current almost dedicated to shooting only plane is an LN #62 with a hotdog.

A low angle plane goes through end grain much easier than a standard angle bench plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

shootingplanesmall.jpgSorry. After using this dedicated, special purpose one, there is no other cheaper one that works as easily for the job. After using the Veritas in a track, I won't bother with one that doesn't run in a track. I made the board out of Corian, and will get the left-handed mate to it when needed. This is my only new, high dollar plane, and it works really great.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-02-2014 at 11:26 AM.

I've used a #4, #6 and now a #5. In a pinch for a narrow board, I'll grab any of the above. I've even used a block plane. However, after using the #6 for a while, I decided to pick up a #5 specifically for shooting. It's long enough and massive enough for most things. Being shorter and lighter than the #6 is more often an advantage for me.

None of them hurt my hand but the #6 is the most comfortable. I have an odd grip a across the side and into the frog, so maybe that helps? I've only used the #5 a few times, but it's not much different.

I imagine if I hit the lottery, I'd buy a LN or LV shooting plane but otherwise, what I have seems to work just fine.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I use my bevel up jack. It works fine.

Bevel up LV jack. Works great. I'm big, and heavy so I'm sure that helps.
    Paul

Regardless of the plane a shooting board is required. I have followed Derek's design and it helps a lot. LV Jack is a lovely plane but end grain shooting is really a lot of work. Especially when it is hard wood.