Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G0656PX and G0453PX....

G0656PX and G0453PX....

Any recent info or reviews on the G0656PX (8" jointer) and the G0453PX (15" planer)?

If I am going to get these and have to wait until October due to them being on backorder, I might as well find out as much as I can before I drop the money for them....

THX

JJ in Pittsburgh

Sorry, click on wrong forum.......

Justin,

I took the liberty of moving this thread to the General Woodworking and Power Tools forum where it is more appropriate.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

thanks.....probably shouldve just deleted it.

I just found out that the backorder is into December now.......

The bummer is I sold my Ridgid jointer and planer over the weekend to get extra money for the purchase.

It has been well established that you do not buy anything from Grizzly without first verifying availability.
    I
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It seems most of their jointers are back ordered. Whats up with that?

Did you look around for the Shop Fox versions? They are the same sans color I think. Bibb tool and cutter has them, and might work with you on price since you're buying two machines.

Not Shop Fox......

Did look at JET with their discounts. Not sure the extra money is worth it yet.

Unless you're dead set on getting the white polar bear series, check availability on the "X". It's the same machine.

A quick, down and dirty review for the planer:

1. Inspect the crate/box upon arrival. If any major damages/holes, refuse the shipment. Aligning and adjusting beat equipment is no bueno. Grizzly would rather you refuse the order and send another one. I speak from experience on a shaper purchase.
    2. Have plenty of rags and a grease cutter handy to clean all the cosmoline. It's everywhere. After you think you got it all, plane some sacrificial wood through it, then clean again.
    3. Set up is relatively easy. I initially did it with the "two blocks of wood" method. Later, I purchased a Oneway Multi Gauge and dialed everything it to .001 tolerances. I set my rollers to .002 above the table and now get no end snipe.
    4. The carbide inserts hold up really well if you don't overfeed stock or let a rogue piece of metal through. In 2 years of use, I've only had to rotate 2 of the inserts. I don't take more than 1/16" stock in a single pass.

I have a Grizzly coupon from Wood magazine. 10% for all purchases over $300. Has to used by October 15th. PM me if you want it. It will save you quite a bit if you purchase them together.
    -Lud

I have the G0453Z and I am happy with it. The fit and finish is not as great as my other Grizzly tools but not horrible. The height adjustment wheel is not drilled square so it doesn't spin true but it doesn't hurt the function. The motor went out at about 14months. My credit card had doubled the warranty so it was covered by them. I put a better motor in it. Grizzly was very helpful working with the credit card company for the replacement motor. I love the carbide insert head. Even with the motor issue I am still ahead of the game $$ wise compared to others on the market. I have many Grizzly tools and this was the only one that has ever given me any problems. Maybe it was because it was made in China vs Taiwain. maybe just the luck of the draw.

PM Sent......

I have a Grizzly coupon from Wood magazine. 10% for all purchases over $300. Has to used by October 15th. PM me if you want it. It will save you quite a bit if you purchase them together.[/QUOTE]

I am thinking of either JET or Powermatic (same right?) from the CPO Outlets.....

Anyone order from here?

I am thinking of getting the standard bladed versions for now, then upgrading to helical heads. Has anyone done this and is it easy to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    I am thinking of getting the standard bladed versions for now, then upgrading to helical heads. Has anyone done this and is it easy to do?
    Spend the money now for helical cutterheads. Upgrade cost is disproportionately expensive and you'll be a lot happier with the carbide cutters that can be individually replaced as needed. Plus the noise level is so much lower - your ears (and your neighbors) will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    I am thinking of either JET or Powermatic (same right?) from the CPO Outlets.....

Anyone order from here?

Jet and powermatic are made in same factory. So it is not a huge difference in quality. Bells and whistles

May I ask what is your budget for jointer and planer?
    Last edited by thomas hsieh; 09-03-2014 at 3:02 PM.

Well, I was hoping to be around the same for new from Grizzly for the mentioned models, which is $3K....