Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G0656PX and G0453PX....

If you can wait, just wait. If not then I would get the Shop Fox. It is the same thing....owned by Grizzly, just re branded.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas hsieh View Post
    If you can wait, just wait. If not then I would get the Shop Fox. It is the same thing....owned by Grizzly, just re branded.
    Shop Fox prices seem to be higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Shop Fox prices seem to be higher?
    Shop Fox is the retail version of Grizzly. You get a dealer network that you don't get with Grizzly. I also believe that you get a 2yr warranty vs 1 with Grizzly.

Have you considered the 12" jet combo machine? It keeps you at the $3000 price and is a heck of a machine. Save space as well. Personally I don't get having an 8" jointer and 15" planer. I always face joint so it makes a lot more sense to have 12" both ways.

I'm not sure why you seem to be against Shop Fox. They're the same as Grizzly and cheaper than Jet and especially powermatic.

Surprised your considering new powermatic after trying hard to get a smoking deal on used equipment in your other thread.

Not against Shop Fox at all.....

As for the new Powermatic, just happened across the CPO site for them, after looking though, over $4K for the stuff with the discount. Not sure the wife would let me swing that.

As for the CL Thread, well if you followed you saw how that turned out, but again, I was willing to make a fair offer for, yes never used, but almost 10 year old equipment. Anyways, that didn't work out, and yes, I assisted in not making that deal happen because of me...I would rather pay for new, if the deal on used isnt good enough for me.

You need to check the classifieds and get in the car and head to southern Maryland. 8" jointer and 20" planer for $2300, both with spiral heads.

Blog Entries
    Grizzly's combo machine with spiral cutter head is 5hp vs. Jet 3hp and the grizzly is less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    You need to check the classifieds and get in the car and head to southern Maryland. 8" jointer and 20" planer for $2300, both with spiral heads.
    Hopefully the tent sale at Grizzly next Saturday goes well!!

Get there REAL early.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

early....I heard.....

I am driving up after work Friday night and staying in town. My plan is to be in line around 6/6:30.

I know its not the earliest, but from what I hear 2-3 hours before should be OK.

I bought my tablesaw at one in Springfield about 10 years ago (wow, time flies!). I didn't get there as early as you plan to, but they had just opened and people were going directly to the item they wanted and taking the tickets. It seemed like they had scouted it before the sale? They knew exactly where to go and I got a little discouraged. I had actually gone there to get a Hybrid saw and thought I was going to have to buy new.

Then, my wife found one in the tent, 5HP, 1023 series, no scratches or dents that I could find, nothing missing, and about 2/3 of new price at the time. I looked and the ticket was still there or had been put back after someone changed their mind? My wife is awsome to take tool shopping! When we got home with it, realized it was 3-ph. I didn't plan on that expense, but it all worked out in the end and I think I got a better saw. If we lived closer to a store now, I would definitely go.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    I am thinking of either JET or Powermatic (same right?) from the CPO Outlets.....

Anyone order from here?

I am thinking of getting the standard bladed versions for now, then upgrading to helical heads. Has anyone done this and is it easy to do?
    If you haven't done so, it might be worth checking Equipment Sales and Surplus in Auburn, WA. for Jet and Powermatic. I got my Jet JJP-12 J/P from there, they had the best price and free delivery including residential lift gate. Mine was drop shipped from Jet's warehouse in Tennessee. I'd heard second hand that a Jet 12" spiral cutterhead for my machine is around $600, pretty close to the differential new. I don't know about Jet planers but the Jet JJP-12 planer function feeds at 20 fpm, the helical JJP-12H feeds at 12 fpm. That would be something to look into if considering a straight knife to helical head conversion. I'd get the helical head and be done with it, no warranty issues for one thing.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 09-05-2014 at 10:19 AM.

If you are considering a combo, the Grizzly G0634xp with the longer infeed table is 2500 delivered. Appears it has a 8" longer infeed table than the G0633, and is less with the helical cutterhead by 250.

Update and Dilemma.....

So, not sure how I missed it, but Grizzly does have the 453Z Planers in stock, so I have one of those on hold if I do not find anything at the Tent Sale.....

Second, they are still out of stock on ALL 8" jointers, December time frame.

Now, I dont expect to find too much in teh deal of 8" at the tent sale, if I do, then great, if not, then Ihave 2 choices.

Order a new Grizzly, take the $100 discount along with my 10% off (BUT add $150 back in for shipping) or, a local Shop Fox dealer can get me the W1741 for close to the same as the grizzly, but without the helical head, I would have to chuck out the $400 for that.

So, Ridgid Band Saw, Table Saw Drill Press
    Grizzly Planer
    Shop Fox Jointer