Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw and plane tills

Sean, everything I've seen in your shop looks as nice as the furniture in my home.

Most of my shop is utilitarian, but I don't enjoy building that stuff as much. I really like the bottom till.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Shop storage is a good place to practice skills.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Daniel, If you would like the plan for my plane till I can email you a pdf this evening from home if you PM me your email address. If there is interest, I can post the pdf here for anyone to use freely. Again, it would be tonight since I don't have access to it at work.
    Man...I want that!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Man...I want that!
    Ditto!

Go ahead and post it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Attachment 296031
    I intended it to have half as many saws in it, so some of the saws are just sitting in there, and some are sitting in slots in the board that runs across the middle. I'd like to get rid of enough saws to have it so that I only have one in each slot and none between.
    I doubt the second statement is really your true goal. In fact, I bet you'd really like to make it over to hold even more saws. LOL

On that topic, how many saws does a guy really need anyway? Is there a minimum complement of saws that you would like to have?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    On that topic, how many saws does a guy really need anyway? Is there a minimum complement of saws that you would like to have?
    Probably:
    two full size rip saws - a 5 pt and 7 pt
    two full size cross cut - an 8 pt and 10 or 12 pt.
    one large rip backsaw for large tenons
    one smaller sash saw - cross cut
    one rip tenon
    one dovetail
    one flush cut japanese
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Plane Till plan

I cannot upload the plane till plan because the file size of the pdf is too large. PM me with your email address if you would like a copy.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Here are some pics of my saw till. It can be stored inside my English style toolchest, but mostly it sits on a window sill in my shop. The top space has vertical dividers, and cork on the floor. The bottom drawer fits my small and medium sized Japanese saws, and saw files. I did not invent this style of till. It has been around for a very long time. I refinished it with distressed milkpaint a few years ago.

I have a saw rack (what is commonly called a till nowadays), but I only use it for keeping saws I am using on a particular day from cluttering my bench and getting dulled. I dislike open storage because the saws collect dust which leads to corrosion. I have some very nice saws and want to keep them clean and sharp for a long time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 09-13-2014 at 1:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Probably:
    two full size rip saws - a 5 pt and 7 pt
    two full size cross cut - an 8 pt and 10 or 12 pt.
    one large rip backsaw for large tenons
    one smaller sash saw - cross cut
    one rip tenon
    one dovetail
    one flush cut japanese
    I only use one saw for dovetails, a 12" or so 12 point rip with closed handle and would like to have a finer one for small joints and a good gentleman's saw (I guess it is called that) for the occasions when I feel like using one. The rest of your list I agree with assuming there is a miter saw with the miter box.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I doubt the second statement is really your true goal. In fact, I bet you'd really like to make it over to hold even more saws. LOL

It is my goal, I like saws but I don't love having tons of the same thing. It's nicer when you've got saws to have a couple that are in really good tune rather than tons of saws, some in good tune and some needing resharpening or restoration. My block about selling the saws is that I'd like to not sell the saws to someone unless they're sharpened, because I know most of the people buying saws are beginners. I've got other dilemmas, too, like half of those saws are oddballs (hardware store marks, etc) and the other half are known (disstons, groves, etc). If I sell the hardware store marks, I get rid of a lot of good saws that I think are undervalued by the market, which means it's hardly worth the time to sell them. If I sell the good mark saws, then I don't have them.

Everyone has their quirks, I guess - I think they're a pain to prep and sell (and ship), and if they were all a bunch of duplicates, it would be easier to just sell the duplicates. Sean's list is reasonable. You could put it to half that if you wanted to be a minimalist, maybe even less.

At a minimum, I personally would like to have one very large tooth rip saw (like 3 1/2) for resawing, one in the 5 1/2 range for normal ripping of rough stock, and one in the 8 range if it matters if the back side of the cut is blown out. The rest of the saws, I could do with little, as long as I had a fairly fine crosscut carpenter's saw and two backsaws. Sawing is more about keeping the saws moving and doing so accurately than it is about having a lot of saws. Most of the fascination with how fine or how cleanly a saw cuts ignores the fact that the back sides of most cuts are never viewed, and is more just to please the user.

11. planes:
    tumblr_naqfrhM10E1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

the cabinet is a hardware store sample cabinet that I brought home from my grandparent's when the ranch was being cleared out. a vintage cabinet filled with vintage planes. the #2 came from there too.

saws:
    tumblr_nbvroxQN081qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nbvrp9qY931qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nbvrph6Xiq1qhrm32o1_500.jpg

tumblr_nbvrprIX201qhrm32o1_500.jpg

the small till is a drawer box from a project I built. the box didn't work for some reason that I forget now and I had to make a new one. I reused this one for backsaws and other smaller saws. one of these days I'll make a door for it. the case for the long saws I made on a whim. it holds 7 saws with dividers separating them. it has a few problems- nothing holds the saws in except gravity, so it has to sit level. it's too long to sit on most kinds of shelving such that a saw can be withdrawn from it without having to keep a saws length of shelf clear for the purpose. it ends up sitting on the top of a largish cabinet, in a not too convenient location. the saws sit teeth down. I don't think that the baltic birch surface is doing any damage to the saws, but the box is getting chewed up. if the box gets tilted toe down the saws slide to the bottom ans jamb down there. if it gets tilted toe up they fall out and land on the horns.

it does serve the purpose of limiting the number of saws that I have in my user rotation, which I consider to be a good thing.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a true knuckle-dragger and only have a few saws for very specific purposes but, hand tools are indispensable in my gara . . . er, shop. It may be blasphemous to post something like this here but, this is where I stash mine:

Plane Till (49).jpg . Plane Till (50).jpg

There is a second swing-door "wing" on the opposite wall as a re-org is required to get the whole rig on one wall and I'm in the middle of a few things .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries

New saw till

Completed my saw till today. I'll put a coat of shellac over the next week and hang it.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Yes everything is square, iPhone close up has a bit of fisheye distortion.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 09-14-2014 at 9:40 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Nice work, Shawn. I like the ones with doors. Maple? What wood is the panel?

Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Completed my saw till today. I'll put a coat of shellac over the next week and hang it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post

Nice! .