Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw and plane tills

Saw and plane tills

I'm preparing to build a saw till and a plane till. I have a design in mind for each, but I'd really be interested in seeing what other Neanders are using.

BTW - a picture is worth a thousand words
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    One problem with building tills for planes and saws is what happens when a new one shows up?

There are a lot of threads from the past if you want to do a search here on SMC.

Maybe a show your saw & plane storage methods thread would be good.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Disappointing to gaze upon (mine not Harold's) but works well enough

Quick and dirty. Rubber made totes with lids; stacked for the ones I don't use often. These are mostly tools other than planes but some planes.

Rubber made tote with no lid and rubbing alcohol bottles, laundry detergent bottle etc for dividers for the shorter planes I use all the time. Works really well.

Some saws are in the totes with lids, many are on the walls or on lean up portable peg board panels on frames.

I have not spent any time at any of this it is just what has evolved.

And the last photo is Harold Ionson's saw stash. Nice huh ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    I am building a saw till right now. It will be an 18"x36" wall cabinet to hold 2 panel saws, 3 back saws, a fret saw, and 3 Japanese pull saws. No plans as I am doing it by feel. My planes have drawers already.

image.jpg

The maple is curly maple I found in a Home Depot. I am cutting the dovetails in the picture. I'll cut the pins in the evenings this week.

image.jpg

It should look a bit like this. Mine will have a door on it to keep the salt air out.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 09-02-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I've given this a fair bit of thought. My bench, is small and easily cluttered. Having my most used tools at arms reach means putting them away is also at arms reach. Not everything needs to be right at the bench, so I want to be selective in what I choose but also flexible with the storage arrangement. For example, leaving 3" for each plane means I can swap a #4 or a #5 for a #4 1/2 or even a #6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One problem with building tills for planes and saws is what happens when a new one shows up?
    Some more thoughts, I like the idea of angled open storage. After some experiments, I found that 60 degrees is about right. To store a typical #5 and #4 one above the other, I'd want to allocate about 26". At 60 degrees, it projects over 14". So I'm working out some other designs to get the projection down under 10". Probably a double decker with shorter planes on the bottom, longer ones on the top.

The saws are easier. Back saws are all I need at the bench, so the till can be smaller and can incorporate some storage for some additional tools or even overlap space with the plane till.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

A phrase I never expected to read. The Home Depot's by me have, at best, some hugely overpriced red oak and popular. Might have seen a maple board or two but never nice curly maple!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    The maple is curly maple I found in a Home Depot.
    Since I don't have to deal with the salt air, I'm going for an open design but otherwise you have the same design I like.
    -- Dan Rode

Blog Entries
    I just bought the parts to make a Popular Woodworking project called "German Work Box". Searching that name should bring up an article with a free PDF of the project. This is a cabinet on casters that can move many tools anywhere in the shop they may be needed. The double top section folds to either side, making a spacious place to place tools in use. I am modifying the plan to work some larger tools into it.

While it won't work for what I want to do, there no arguing that it's an ingenious use of the totes and recycled household plastics. Protects the planes nicely, efficient on space and costs nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Quick and dirty. Rubber made totes with lids; stacked for the ones I don't use often. These are mostly tools other than planes but some planes.

Rubber made tote with no lid and rubbing alcohol bottles, laundry detergent bottle etc for dividers for the shorter planes I use all the time. Works really well.

Some saws are in the totes with lids, many are on the walls or on lean up portable peg board panels on frames.

I have not spent any time at any of this it is just what has evolved.

And the last photo is Harold Ionson's saw stash. Nice huh ?
    -- Dan Rode

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    A phrase I never expected to read. The Home Depot's by me have, at best, some hugely overpriced red oak and popular. Might have seen a maple board or two but never nice curly maple!
    I was surprised as well. It doesn't have the most pronounced curl ever, but it was there and sold for about $3.50 a bf. Who am I to walk by decent wood?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

My saw tills are both crude, hacked together with scraps, and have some stuff hacked onto them, but work very well. I can post pictures, if they will help. I have nicer plane tills (dovetailed joints!) if pictures would help for that as well. Let me know, but no laughing at them!
    Paul

My shop is filled with things made quickly out of scraps. The design is often based on what I can make from leftovers or recycled stuff.

These tills will be slightly nicer but I'm not targeting furniture quality. Economical and functional is the key. This project gets bonus points because it should be interesting to build.
    -- Dan Rode

~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

P1040033.jpg

I've never been one for fancy shop fixtures, you can see in the background that the whole place is just a block-walled garage, anyway.

This till took me two hours to build, which is in line with my wants. I dovetailed the boards together on the corners and screwed the front and back on. I intended it to have half as many saws in it, so some of the saws are just sitting in there, and some are sitting in slots in the board that runs across the middle. I'd like to get rid of enough saws to have it so that I only have one in each slot and none between.

There are dowels off the sides of the cabinet in four places, each holding two dovetail or tenon saws, and nails in the bottom to hold japanese saws.

Saws don't move on their own and aren't fragile, so there doesn't need to be anything special holding them in, they just sit in the till, and the kerfs that some saws sit in are more for spacing than anything else. I think I may have rasped a small spot in the bottom board where the handles sit so the handles would line up with the slots, but those rasp marks are not deep. It'd look a lot less sloppy if it didn't have so many saws in it.

I don't use a plane till, just a shelf instead that's several feet away from the bench.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-03-2014 at 9:30 AM.

Daniel, If you would like the plan for my plane till I can email you a pdf this evening from home if you PM me your email address. If there is interest, I can post the pdf here for anyone to use freely. Again, it would be tonight since I don't have access to it at work.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

PM sent. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Daniel, If you would like the plan for my plane till I can email you a pdf this evening from home if you PM me your email address. If there is interest, I can post the pdf here for anyone to use freely. Again, it would be tonight since I don't have access to it at work.
    -- Dan Rode