Thread: Powermatic remote switch on a Jet

Powermatic remote switch on a Jet

I ordered a Jet 1642-2 lathe last week and called Jet today to ask about the crate size, wattage requirement, etc and just happened to ask if it was possible to wire in a remote switch and the answer was yes, the Powermatic switch will work.

Has anybody actually done this?

no - but I'll give you a much more economical idea:

http:// www. aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?6363-3520-Swing-Arm-w-Variable-Speed&p=51616#post51616
    Last edited by John Keeton; 09-02-2014 at 3:53 PM. Reason: Removed link to another forum per TOS

You can do a remote set up yourself. Go here. http://mustardmonster.weebly.com/
    the controls for a Powermatic and Jet 1642 are identical. Cost is about $10.00.

Looks like I almost stepped on Shawn's post.
    Last edited by Dwight Rutherford; 09-02-2014 at 3:57 PM.

I have the 1 1/2hp model. There is a jumper that can be removed and replaced with a cord to a secondary switch. There was a tutorial here a couple of years ago.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Jim - I have a Jet 1642-2 and a few years back designed my own remote switch using very common - and cheap - components. It worked! I then made a step-by-step PDF for those folks wishing to make their own remote switch. I swear, once the remote was in place, I have not used the main on/off again. If interested in the PDF, send me a PM with your email address.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I love my 1642-2! I have made the remote control mod ... Bundle of wires to an electric box moving the start/stop switch and the speed control remote. Couldn't be happier with the mod.

Thanks to all for the comments. I have added the switch change to my list of things to do. My Jet has a delivery date of 9/11 but is currently in a depot 45 miles away. Tempted to fetch it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hipp View Post
    My Jet has a delivery date of 9/11 but is currently in a depot 45 miles away. Tempted to fetch it myself.
    I would have been there within minutes of finding out it was that close!