Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benchcrafted new hardware.....

Benchcrafted new hardware.....

Not sure I'm too happy about the design change to the front leg vise hardware at Benchcrafted. I have been waiting for over a month to place my order since the hardware has been "out of stock"...They promised new stock by 9-1-2014, and they delivered, with a wheel that looks as if its a couple inches larger than the previous version and they moved the wooden handle on the wheel from the front and replaced it with three evenly spaced wooden handles on the outside of the wheel. ( I guess they wanted it to look like a ship's wheel). They also raised the price.

So what does everyone think? Am I making a big deal out of nothing? What your opinion?
    Last edited by Denny Rice; 09-02-2014 at 9:51 PM.

+1 not fond of it. With the knobs radiating like that one is almost forced to put the screw lower than one might want. The last version I almost bought but not this one.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    Not sure I'm too happy about the design change to the front leg vise hardware at Benchcrafted. I have been waiting for over a month to place my order since the hardware has been "out of stock"...They promised new stock by 9-1-2014, and they delivered, with a wheel that looks as if its a couple inches larger than the previous version and they moved the wooden handle on the wheel from the front and replaced it with three evenly spaced wooden handles on the outside of the wheel. ( I guess they wanted it to look like a ship's wheel). They also raised the price.

So what does everyone think? Am I making a big deal out of nothing? What your opinion?
    I tried to buy one a month ago but saw the out of stock message, so I went to Highland woodworking and ordered one, because they still had them on stock. Got it delivered in two days. Perhaps they still have the old design available?

I am glad i was able to snatch one of the old designs, i really do not like the new one, either.

I have the old design, for my old hands the wheel is too small and difficult to tighten and once tight enough difficult to loosen. I expect once you get use to the way it looks it will be a big improvement. BTW, on my new bench I went back to the old standby English metal vise, if the new design had been out a few months ago I expect it would be on the new bench.

+1 not my cuppa (tea). I never really liked rev. 1, either, with the machinist sort of wheel. Frankly, I prefer the old school hub-with-a-crossbar design, it provides necessary leverage and minimal obstruction. But....the rest of their stuff is pretty nice, and I *did* buy the hardware for the Moxon vise, so I really shouldn't complain...

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

I upscaled a salvaged hand wheel, which has no handle.

Don't miss the handle a bit. I am also not a big fan of the new design. Do have, and love, the BC wagon vise.

Good luck!
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

What do I think ?
    I think :
    Time for a VISE or two rather than a vIsE.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 09-03-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Oh my. Not as fond of the look as the old one, but functionally I like the idea. No protruding knob to snag on, and more leverage. For my tight shop it would be a plus. It does prompt me to want to refer to it as "the helm," but it looks like it gets the job done.

Just took a second look. I am going to say I like it even more the second time.

I don't like the look of the new wheel at all. I think the larger wheel is a great idea, however.

For what its worth, I like the new design. I didn't like the handle / knob sticking out from the bench on the older design because it looks like it would get in the way when walking around the bench corner. Mind you, I don't actually have the old design, but I know I would always bump into it. I'd probably have a pretty large bruise on my thigh because of it.

I don't favor the looks of it, either. I wonder if you could request to have hardware made like the old version.

I don't really favor the looks of any of the boutique bench hardware, it looks like confusion of eras when you put it on a bench.

Well I think it is a better design. I have the BC end vise which has the single knob. Leverage on this is less ergonomic. The new, triple version places the leverage in a natural position. I can see it using less energy to turn.

It occurs to me that, should one dislike the looks (!), then the knobs appear removable.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 09-03-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Well, I wouldn't kick the new design out of bed for eating crackers. ;-)

Looks like a good solid vise that would be nice to use.

Changing the knob from the front should make the assembly project less far out - a good thin I would think.

And, Weaver-mon, I think you are funny - with a saw till - who cares what it looks like, but with a bench a few feet away - mixing periods hurts my eyes. ;-)
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Well, i start to care when it's going to cost real money, or I'm going to make a real effort. Call it all or none. (I do realize that it sounds ridiculous to be OK with a $10 saw till, but not a $440 piece of vise hardware because the vise hardware is a little off in style...I guess it's the cost, either make a quick effort or 100% all in.

I think Jameel's nicest looking bench was the first one, despite the vises and deadman being a little bit bulky (that will only make sense to someone who dimensions by hand, as the boutique hardware and $80 saddle dovetail marking crowd seems to think a 500 pound bench is necessary and an 8 pound smoother is ideal).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-04-2014 at 9:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    After a third look and watching the video, I really like it. Less chance of getting poked in the poker by that knob, more leverage, and easier to turn from standing to the side, like when jointing a long board.

Was there a price hike for the two extra knobs?