Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Benchcrafted new hardware.....

I am surprised by the change. My wagon vise came, 5 or so years ago, with instructions to use the handle for fast rotation into position and then a small push on the wheel to snug it up. That is how I use it and I have never had to push hard on the wheel for a VERY firm grip. Maybe there is a difference in holding power for the leg vise and you need more leverage to tighten it securely. Unfortunately, I opted for a Veritas twin screw for a front vise when I built my bench, so I don't have experience with Benchcrafted's leg vise. That vise is one of the few disappointments I've had from LV/Veritas. Of course, if the Benchcrafted wagon vise didn't work so well, I might not be spoiled enough to complain about the Veritas.

In intended to get the leg vise hardware this winter and I really like the looks of the old wheel version. If I have to choose between docking a boat or the classic (bar and hub style) version instead.

If they wanted a ship's wheel they should have gone for at least 6 knobs.
    ..."Helm, right 15 degrees rudder."

Blog Entries
    To add to my comments already posted, when I read this thread the first time, I said, "Nooooooooooooooo!!!... not my favorite vise!" I promptly went to their site and said, "Nooooooo... they've ruined it..." but then started looking at the advantages; mainly a lower profile. Then the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. Believe me, this is not what I would have expected me to say after first hearing of the change, but I really like it. Even if you don't like the looks, it makes more sense functionally. Personally I like the look- two more pieces of beautiful wood- what's not to like? Besides, I could yell, "Helm's a'lee" every time I clamped something!

GlideM_plane.jpg

Just to let everyone know, Benchcrafted made it all good. The guys found a couple of sets of unsold hardware in one of their retailers. They sold me a new (well the old version) of the hardware its paid for and on my way home........

I, for one, like the new 3-spoke wheel. Tried it out at WIA, and loved the action of it. Part of the increase in price is that the leg vise comes with the Criss-Cross. I'll be ordering a Criss-Cross for my bench build. Slick as whale snot, it is.
    Maurice

If someone wants an old design Criss Cross, let me know. You buy the new design Criss Cross, have it shipped to me, and I'll ship my New In Box old design Criss Cross to you. This is a limited time offer, as I'm a) between jobs at the moment and b) building my bench. I'm going to install whatever leg vise I have on hand when I get to that point, which is likely to occur sometime next week.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I just prefer the old tommy bar type handle myself. It gives you more leverage,without sticking up,and possibly being in the way. I do not think a round handle is appropriate for this application. Neither did any of the vise makers for many decades before this.

"Neither did any of the vise makers for many decades before this."
    George, the problem with blanket statements is that there are often exceptions.
    H. O. Studley, and other piano makers used vises with round handles.
    cIMG_6621-400x254.jpg
    For more info, check out Don Williams at www.donsbarn.com
    Don is writing the book on Studley's toolchest and was a conservator at the Smithsonian.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

You are of course correct,Mike!! Happens every time. Personally,I have never seen a round handle old vise,but there it is.

How common were these round handle vises? And,why confined to piano makers?

I still prefer the leverage offered by a simple straight handle. Especially now that I have arthritis pain in my hands.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-17-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Personally,I have never seen a round handle old vise,but there it is.

How common were these round handle vises? And,why confined to piano makers?
    Apparently he used to drive it to work, George. Had he had been Australian or English, the wheel would have been on the other end of the bench.

How many chords do you think he got to the mile?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Apparently he used to drive it to work, George. Had he had been Australian or English, the wheel would have been on the other end of the bench.

How many chords do you think he got to the mile?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Touché, Derek, touché!
    Maurice

Are there any more examples out there,or is this make of vise the only one with round handle?

P.S.I have seen that bench before,but did not remember it.

Here is a screen shot of Popular Mechanics Aug 1930.

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    WHAT??? I thought Benchcrafted invented the Criss Cross. My faith in humanity is lost.