Thread: Turning tool angle measurement methods

Turning tool angle measurement methods

I would imagine that there is likely as many methods as there are turners, but I'm curious as to what methods and/or specific tools that folks are using to measure and check the bevel angles on turning tools. So when it's time to sharpen, and check those bevel angles, what does everyone use?

OK, I'll ask the question. What do you mean?

I think most of us use a jig to sharpen. I found an angle that I like. 65 degrees for bowl gouges (I think). I sharpen all my gouges in the same jig with the same setting. My spindle gouges are 45 I think. My angles never change, so I never check.
    I don't change the angles much. Sometimes I try other angles, but I always go back to what is "comfortable" for me. As an example, I bought a new bowl gouge, supposed to be factory sharp. Angles were all different than what I use. (The nose and swept back.) I tried and tried to get used to the new gouge angles. I adjusted the jig to replicate the factory grind, but I still couldn't quite get into the groove of the new gouge angle. So finally I reground it to "my" angle.......

Just my $0.02

Try a bevel guage.Bevel Gauge 1.jpg

Like Kyle, I rare;y measure the finished angle. Rather, I measure the jig setup to assure a consistent grind. Before I bought a CBN wheel which does not wear down like an AO wheel, I used the RAPTOR gauges to set the jig up. Now I have marks on the wolverine arm.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

When I measure the angles (on occasion for curiosity mostly) I use s simple protractor with a movable arm.

Sorry if my question was vague. Bill and Darryl picked up on what I'm asking.

A jig is great if you already know what angle you want to achieve. But what if you have a tool and you're unsure of the angle?

I'm just curious to see what kinds of creative methods others are using. Simple, cheap, bought, shop made...whatever.

I have a metal protractor and have been known to use the miter gauge from one of my other tools.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Maybe you need one of these... http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...gle-Gauge.aspx -- looks like they're only taking orders for a few more days though.

Well, you can use your grinder platform as well as the angle jigs. They both do the same thing. Adjust your platform to match the bevel angle of the tool, and then using jigs, settings on your platform, you can get a pretty good angle indicator. Being off a degree or two doesn't really matter.

robo hippy