Thread: Magnetic Mounted Work Lights

Magnetic Mounted Work Lights

I'm looking at this light http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...96,43349,71189

Any comments or other recommendations? Is an 18" light enough length? I just need additional light on certain shop tools. Plus, free shipping until 8 Sep from Lee Valley.

I have that light and love it. Others have complained about the short life of batteries for it but I've had mine for quite a while, used it frequently and it is still on the first set of batteries. I use it on my bandsaw and on my workbench and it has plenty of arm length and an adjustable focus to give you a spot or flood lighting. Works for me.

I have the same one too. I move it between the bandsaw and drill press. The magnet holds it in place very securely. Battery life is OK as long as you remember to turn it off when you don't need it.

Thanks for the info. Ordered.

I’m not a fan of battery powered accessories in the shop. I recently ditched the odd ball battery in my router lift DRO and modified it to use a cheap power supply from Radio Shack. It’s nice to not worry about dead batteries anymore.

I have the mag base work light from WW Supply. The magnetic base is rock solid, the neck stays wherever you point it, and I like the 100 watt bulb for close up work.
    http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?P...1&LARGEVIEW=ON
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Shopsmith has a work light like the one above except it uses support brackets that can be placed in areas where a magnet wont work. I have owned mine for years and works well.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...ilitylight.htm
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-03-2014 at 4:56 PM. Reason: oops
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Shopsmith has a work light like the one above except it uses support brackets that can be placed in areas where a magnet wont work. I have owned mine for years and works well.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...ilitylight.htm
    At a much better price too! I don't remember where I got mine but I know I didn't pay what WW Supply want's for it. I recall it was around $60 but it's been several years.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I’m not a fan of battery powered accessories in the shop. I recently ditched the odd ball battery in my router lift DRO and modified it to use a cheap power supply from Radio Shack. It’s nice to not worry about dead batteries anymore.

I have the mag base work light from WW Supply. The magnetic base is rock solid, the neck stays wherever you point it, and I like the 100 watt bulb for close up work.
    http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?P...1&LARGEVIEW=ON
    I have the same light and they are truly industril grade. If you look in from the top you'll see the aluminum heat sink between the bulb and the switch and the top vents. As a result the light stays cool, even with a 100W bulb.

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Dad has the Moffett for the lathe and its great. For the bandsaw where I don't want a large head in my line of sight, I use the light that is made for the DeWalt DW788 scrollsaw bolted to a magnetic base:

dw7881.JPG

The arm is way-strong enough for the headpiece's weight so it always stays where I put it. About $35.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've used this Instructable how- to, can't beat the price plus I've found you don't really need the megawatts you think to do an effective job.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Blog Entries
    I have the Lee Valley light and use it all the time. I wouldn't be without it. It mounts on the drill press or in dog holes on the bench. I can put bright light where I need it.

I have two each of the LED magnetic light and the larger, more expensive light, both from lee valley. I use the LED one on my belt grinder and buffer and the larger ones with 100W equivalent CFLs on my bandsaw and drill press. They both have their uses but for a machine that gets used quite a bit and you need the extra light I would go with this style and use a CFL: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...56,43349,46866
    a bit pricey but quite well built.

Blog Entries
    As I stated earlier, I have the LV battery powered bench light.
    In addition I have an Ikea light that I use also. I don't use it as much because the cord is an issue. I have it mounted on the drill press.

As I recall, it cost less than $20.