Thread: shape of small size h&r

shape of small size h&r

I've gotten a lot of help so far so I thought I'd ask here. I've made most of the planes in my half set but am drawing a blank when it comes to sizes 2 and 4. I know they have reverse grips but I can't find any good pictures of it. And how would you cut the escapement with the thicker grip in the way? Do you chop it out with chisels?
    any advice and or drawings of the finishing details would be appreciated.

Hi Ronald,

I need to get back down to the shop, so need to keep this brief. I'm attaching a small image of the smaller sizes as we make them, looking at them from the heel (right-handed planes) and as if one had a type of x-ray vision. If printed out at 100% size, I believe it will be fairly close to actual size (portrait orientation). Actual dimensions can be found in the file on Larry's DVD, which you can access via your computer. The escapements can be sawn in a manner similar to the other planes, except that you have to stop just short of the overhanging shoulder. Also, note that the shoulder is 1/4" lower than the fillets of the regular shoulders, so that it will be at the same distance from the top of the plane as the lower terminus of the ramps on them. Possibly needless to say, these smaller sizes don't have ramps. Hope this helps.

Don McConnell
    Eureka Springs, AR
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow.

This site is awesome.
    My hat is off to you, Don.

Thanks for the kind words, Jim.

Also, thought it might be useful to add one bit of information to my previous message. On the smaller H&R's with the "reverse" shoulders Ronald is asking about, we find it advantageous to make the saw cuts (stopping just short of the shoulder line) and excavate the escapement/mouth before rabbeting the lower portion of the plane to create the overhanging shoulder. Suspect my previous message likely left the impression that we create the reverse shoulder first.

Don McConnell
    Eureka Springs, AR

Thank you so much for your help don, I appreciate you taking time to respond to my pleas for help. I can't think of a better source of moulding plane knowledge.
    So I think I understand how it works now. I was thinking cut the rebate first which would make for very awkward sawing.

I have the pleasure of owning a half set made by Don and Larry. Today I made about 25' of crown for a kitchen cabinet job, it was an enjoyable day. Now of only I could talk Don into making a handrail shave
    Last edited by Keith Mathewson; 09-03-2014 at 9:55 PM.

Handrail shave?

Like one of these?
    I gather you could have it made into any profile.

Boxwood-Handrail-Shave2170-1302.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 09-04-2014 at 6:27 PM. Reason: Wonky link

CAUTION- DO NOT GO TO THE LINK ABOVE. This site was put up by someone who did not know what they were doing. If you click on certain images,you will be taken to a blank page that has no way of escaping from.

I finally had to unplug the computer to rid myself of it,and have to re log into every site I go to.

Sorry,Jim,I don't know what is wrong with that site.

Sorry Ronald, we seem to have hijacked your thread. Some years ago while I was doing hand railing work for a small custom stair company, I had made up a hand railer's quirk router and posted a brief description of that online. Keith had seen it, and asked if I could make him one since he's doing some of that kind of work. As a personal favor, rather than as part of our business. For those who are interested, here is a link to a slightly modified version of that very brief article on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Y...it?usp=sharing

Sorry the photos aren't better, but they reflect the amateur-grade digital photography of the time, I'm afraid. (I'll send you a private message Keith.)

Don McConnell
    Eureka Springs, AR

I posted the picture, instead.