Thread: Trouble with Morntech Laser

Trouble with Morntech Laser

I keep having a problem with engraving on all types of material! For some reason the letters come out all crooked, and the higher the speed the worse it gets. I'm down to where I am running at a speed of about 2mm and power all the way down to about 1% to keep from burning up the material. Any help would be appreciated

.Laser Photo.jpg

Since you mention that engraving gets worse at higher speeds, I would first move the gantry and piece into the engraving envelope a bit more to provide room for it to ramp up and slow down when changing directions.

You might also check the carriage and belts to make sure they are not too tight or loose.

It does the same thing throughout the table, although some spots I am able to engrave on small plates and such with some success. It seems the bigger the engraving size the harder it is to get it straight. Could it be a bad stepper motor? All the belts seemed to me to be pretty tight and secure.

are your belts tight and does the head move freely mine will do that when it is rally cold in the shop and the rails need to be cleaned

We were actually able to find the problem! It was the belt drive on the stepper motor was not tightened down so it kept moving up and down the shaft of the stepper motor and was making the belt skip. I guess thats why at slower speeds it would turn out alot straighter. Thanks for all the help!

You mean the pulley was loose on the motor shaft, correct?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Yeah, that's exactly what was wrong! The belts all were tight but as soon as I would start the engraving process the belt would slide up and down allowing the belt to slip. The pulley was actually only held on by the tension on the belt.