Thread: I now have a 15/16 chisel

Blog Entries

I now have a 15/16 chisel

I am making a rocking chair for my first Great Grand Daughter to be rocked in.

I make my chairs using power and hand tools. It is about 60% hand work. The chair is a Craftsman design using cherry.
    It has the prerequisite 1" square tenon through the arms from the front posts.

I always cut the tenons with with my LN carcass saw. I thought I had it straight and square, but one of the tenons is about 1/32" undersized and I
    will not accept filling the slight crack with a shaving. The obvious fix is to make the mortise 15/16" square instead of 1". I can trim the tenon to 15/16".

The problem I had is I did not have a 15/16" bench chisel to chop the mortise with. Well,I went to my collection of auction site chisels and found an
    old 1" Stanley 1245 with a splintered handle, a chisel I never use. I trimmed the splintered part of the handle and ground the chisel to 15/16" size with
    my belt sander.

I just finished chopping a practice mortise in a scrap and it is going to work.

The real reason for this post is to brag about my Great Grand Daughter.

Thats awesome Lowell on the Great Grand Daughter front and that "new" chisel haha

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    The real reason for this post is to brag about my Great Grand Daughter.
    Yeah, yeah. But no pictures? Even if she's not born yet, a picture of the proud parents-to-be will suffice.

Blog Entries
    Bragging about children, grandchildren and great grandchildren is always good.

So is building furniture for them and adapting a tool for your own need.

Congrats,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)