Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Photo of The Day....

Stolen Photo of The Day....

A few days ago I checked in on the new WoW site. Surprise surprise....A photo of one of my pieces from many years ago was the Photo of The Day! How could that be? I hadn't posted any photos. I scrolled down and another surprise! It was credited to someone else! Now not only was the piece mine so was the photo. I had posted it on WoW in 2003. I checked in my files and yes the original is there. The piece is Buckeye burl and has some very distinctive color and figure so there is no doubt that the piece and the photo are mine. I even posted the same photo here on SWC a couple of years age when I was posting some oldies. Herm, the boss at WoW posted my 2003 post to prove to any doubters that it was mine.

Herm has contacted the guy. I don't know where it goes from here.

Am I disturbed about this? Yes I am....very. I guess I should be flattered that he picked my piece out of the thousands of pics on WoW
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 09-04-2014 at 9:18 PM.

2. I hope Herm gets him straightened out, Wally! That is an underhanded thing for him to do.............I hope he is exposed for the fraud! Good that you caught the misdeed!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I called him out on his photo! I hope to see Herm reply with the response from the offender.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Congratulations on the cover! It kind of makes you wonder why someone would try that. You might be able to fool a few people but with the Internet they always get caught. A while back I was reading on the old WOW where a someone was posting others work on Facebook and claiming it was theirs. It didn't last long, he was called out in short order and the pictures were removed.

Wally - I thought I recognized that piece! Went through and checked the WTU Behind the Arts interviews and sure enough, it was one of the pieces featured in your interview and that was June 2013!

I added my comment on WoW after Scott's reply. Thanks Scott!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

where is the new WOW site? I was on the old site, but have not gotten the new link.

Wally, you can thank God that you're plenty alert and could spot it. A while back I was in the home of a very wealthy and artistic couple, the guy is an internationally known interior designer, and I saw a neat looking Navajo styled seed pot on their coffee table. I wondered if it was pottery or wood. Picked it up, realized it was wood, turned it over and was startled to see my name on it. Then I remembered donating it to the symphony auction years before and never knew who bought it. The people there couldn't understand how I didn't recognize what I made and I told them it didn't look so good when I last saw it in my garage. It looked a heck of a lot better surrounded by expensive art. You're a lot sharper than I am.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

sorry to hear this, glad it was caught, amazing what people will do

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    where is the new WOW site? I was on the old site, but have not gotten the new link.
    http:// www. thewows.com
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 09-05-2014 at 9:35 AM. Reason: removed active link - to use, take out spaces

wally..I understand completely..I brought up the copying of others original designs then posting as if it were their own, on WOW just a few days ago.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Now you know why every picture of what Michael and Cynthia Gibson has made has a watermark on it. They had this problem on Facebook a while back.... It was obvious that those pieces belonged to the Gibsons because their name was on the photos. I wondered just how ignorant you have to be to post such a thing as your own... Pretty darn ignorant.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Wally I don't see that piece in your photo album on the new WOW site.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim, it was posted by the imposter so it went into his album. Look at Herms album for a copy of my 2003 post.

I thought imitation was the highest form of flattery. Looks like it might be outright theft. Glad you caught the scoundrel; hope he gets his due.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Blog Entries
    Not to hijack, but... looks like my old credentials don't work on the new site. Would one of you mind sending me an invite, please?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5