Thread: Cremation Urns, ABS Plastic and Epoxy

Cremation Urns, ABS Plastic and Epoxy

To those of you who have inset ABS or PVC threaded plumbing fittings in cremation urns, did you use epoxy or some other adhesive? Specifically, what kind of epoxy? I don't have a lot of experience with it and some of my projects that used it failed, like the shaving brush that came off the handle. That was the cheap little squeeze tubes from HF. Do the syringes at the big box stores work? What is the shelf life of the unused product after opening the syringe? Would the same product be appropriate for filling small voids?

Thanks for any advice.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

This is what I use--Cold Cure Epoxy Adhesive from Lee Valley

Always drink upstream of the herd.

Doug, I use ABS and 5 minute epoxy from HF, tinted with black dye. However, you should know that neither ABS or PVC like epoxy and the adhesion is not great. I always turn a couple of rings on the insert and cut four vertical slashes to permit the epoxy to key into. That will prevent pulling loose or rotation.

Thanks for the quick responses. I thought about cutting a key way, so I'm glad to hear it worked for you, John.