Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Combo Machine Question

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Beech View Post
    Most people assume that a combo will take less room than standalones. I would argue not.

My Felder AF741 needs a space of about 12ft by 18ft to operate with 4x8 sheets or say 6x1 8ft long. Thats 8ft in front of the blade edge and 8ft after to run material through it.

A few other drawbacks are that unless you add the micro adjust features then getting back to a specific size after altering the set up can be tricky and slow.

I tolerate the space hog in exchange for convenience and dead on accuracy.

Al
    Hi Alan, different kind of combo machine I'm talking about. I'm speaking about a jointer/planer combo machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Not really. Efficiency is power out over power in or pout/pin. You'll never get that ratio to 1 but you'd like to come as close as possible. Power factor or pf is also a term you'd like to get as close to 1 as possible as it relates the efficiency of the useable electricity from a motor (an inductive load) so it is related to the overall efficiency of the motor.
    In addition to what Chris said, when you see two motors of the same power output with different input currents, the motor with the higher input current has lower power factor and efficiency than the motor with the lower input current.

In other words, higher input current is a negative parameter for a motor.............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Hi Alan, different kind of combo machine I'm talking about. I'm speaking about a jointer/planer combo machine.
    Alan was correct about how much space a large slider requires, however a cabinet saw does as well if you want to process sheet goods.

I have 2 combination machines, a jointer/planer and a saw/shaper. Both save substantial space over separate machines, and have much more capacity and capability than standard NA style machines............Rod.

I have both the J/P and a separate slider. Yes, the latter does require a bit of space for full throw of the 8'6" wagon, but it's also pretty compact when I take the outrigger off. That said, the OP's current needs seem to be just the J/P and they are great machines for both capacity and shop space, IMHO. (that has remained my opinion over nearly ten years of ownership)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5. I replaced a grizzly 6 inch jointer and dewalt dw735 (both with aftermarket spiral heads) with a jet jjp-12hh with helical head. A few hiccups and mods (like replacing the motor cover with mesh and adding a wixey height gauge), but otherwise night and day difference. Zero snipe, gallons more power, quiet enough that I can plane while the baby sleeps on the second floor, and 12 inches of jointing glory so I don't have to cut down those beautiful wide planks.

I'd love some Felder style jointer extension tables for when I get over 5', but otherwise a joy to use. FYI my budget electrician installed a 15 amp 220v circuit because the motor is rated 12.5 amps, and I've never tripped the breaker.

Erik, I've thought about something like that. My concern is that the 'lip' of my Jet JJP-12 is not square to the jointer tables, it's about 1/16" off if I recall correctly. Will that affect how the extensions mount? Shim the mating part to square?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Erik, I've thought about something like that. My concern is that the 'lip' of my Jet JJP-12 is not square to the jointer tables, it's about 1/16" off if I recall correctly. Will that affect how the extensions mount? Shim the mating part to square?
    Should not be a problem. In fact, rare that the mounting surface is completely perpendicular to the cast iron table. Since they don't actually thread into the cast iron table, just drill the holes slightly over-sized to give your self some wiggle room. Hope this helps,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Should not be a problem. In fact, rare that the mounting surface is completely perpendicular to the cast iron table. Since they don't actually thread into the cast iron table, just drill the holes slightly over-sized to give your self some wiggle room. Hope this helps,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    Thanks Erik

Sean, I'm in Lexington and have an FS-30, you're welcome to stop by during your UK visit and check it out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Merriam View Post
    Sean, I'm in Lexington and have an FS-30, you're welcome to stop by during your UK visit and check it out.
    Thanks Chris. I'll let you know when I find out when we're heading to UK.

Not to get too much off topic with the extension tables but I picked up some Incra rail and I bolted pieces of it to both my j/p and my bandsaw. I have a couple of tables that normally live as outfeed for my table saw that I can move to the j/p and bandsaw now. It isn't terribly quick but works good enough for my needs.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Someone needs to create a thread for DIY mods for combined machines. I talked to a customer at IWF who made his own "powered drive" for his J/P planer table by installing a cordless drill chuck on the handwheel arbor shaft. Said he could stick his drill on it and raise the table in like 4-5 seconds. I talk to guys all the time who do stuff like that but (regrettably) do not discuss it much on forums like this.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I like that idea, Erik. I wonder if Sam might have some ideas to contribute to that thread, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...