Thread: Harbor Freight motors

Harbor Freight motors

I'm looking to buy a replacement motor for my 55 year old jointer. I'm looking at the motors at Harbor Freight but despite 30 years using these tools I am ignorant about certain aspects of motors. These motors have their uses printed on the box including fans, compressors, etc. No woodworking machines mentioned. Why? Are they good for machines like jointers?

Second...how do I wire this thing to the switch?

For woodworking equip. I would stick to a TEFC motor. It looks like the 1hp farm duty is the only one that fits that bill. The motor should have a wiring diagram usually inside the connection box.

i bought one for my bandsaw . works fine lately but for awhile it would throw a major spark and jump to full speed so fast it would make the tires expand or slip . anyhow starts fine now and no amazing spark .I did have to replace the tires -it stretched them .

I have used a 3/4HP on a wood lathe for about 6 years, it has worked great, no problems. The 3/4HP rating also seems to be correct, plenty of power and I can't stall it.

I have purchased a 1/2 hp. motor for a V-Drum sander that I built. It is dual voltage, 110/220, Overload switch, and the wiring information is located on the electrical junction box cover. It works just fine. They also had the best price.

I put the 1 hp farm motor on a 6" jointer of about that vintage. It worked fine. Wiring instructions are included. I forget if it can be wired for 240v. Mine was a 110v application. I replaced the jointer shortly after that, so it didn't get a lot of use.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary