Thread: Help me identify this boat...

Help me identify this boat...

....please. I picked this dinghy up at a yard sale because it was just too cute to pass up. I'm having trouble figuring out how to rig it. I came with everything bu a sail. Seems like a Naples sabot except it has a dagger board instead of a leeboard. It's 94 inches long and has a wood mast and boom.There isn't any obvious way of attaching a sail, e.g. no grooves in the mast or boom. I'd like to set this up for a starter boat for the grandkids.

It has a sticker on the transom from the "South Bay Sailboats" co. out of Redondo Beach,CA. and the #902 stamped into the wood plate. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tomdownsized_0905141300.jpgdownsized_0905141021.jpg

Some kind of a pram? Not the Nutshell but some cousin maybe. Meed more photos.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

From the little research I've done it seems like an "El Toro sabot" or "Naples sabot" or a combination of those. What would you like to see in the pictures? I can take a shot of anything you want.

Tom

ps. Thanks for the quick reply

A full shot of the bow, stern and profile might help and maybe a photo of the rudder. We can see the interior. It is not a boat I am familiar with but I can help you do the google . I think that the dagger board rules out the Naples Sabot.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Not an El Toro. The El toro has a foredeck. The slatted thwarts and the bow tie shaped mast partners seem like they ought to make it easy to identify. The shape of the rudder would help, too.

Does it have a hull identification number?

As for rigging it, is the boom on a goose neck mounted up like in your photo. I'm guessing the sail has a sleeve that slips over the mast like a Sunfish and is only attached to the boom at the clew. Is there any hardware at the top of the mast?

I bet you could find a Sunfish sail, mast and yard and rig the boat with that.

Optimist Pram?

Looks like a Sydney Sabot

Looks like a Sydney Sabot..

Here is a link to a Naples Sabot pic that looks exactly like what you have there. Hope it helps some. I have no idea how I stubled across it but the cross piece in the bow is the same bowtie shape that is in your pic, which seemed distinctive enough that i remembered your request for info . http://www.wdschock.com/boats/sabot/...schock_608.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    Optimist Pram?
    Optis use a gaff rig, and are 7'-9" long

well 94 inches and 7'9'' depending on how you squint might be legal. cant see the rig but the mast step is right on. still says opti to me.