Thread: Intertwined Captive Ring Goblet Question??

Intertwined Captive Ring Goblet Question??

Got a customer who wants a cherry-wood two captured rings goblet as a wedding present for his daughter's wedding. I have never made one but I feel sure that it is withing my capabilities. However, in researching making the rings I ran across a set of "intertwined" rings on a goblet. From strictly a turning perspective that does not seem possible to do unless the rings are broken then reassembled intertwined. My question is, is "turning" intertwined rings possible and if so does anyone know of a tutorial or YouTube video?

"The best things in life are not things."

Split one carefully along the grain with a sharp knife, intertwine and carefully reglue. The split may show in cherry unless you can find a grain line to hide it. This technique works better with heavily grained wood.

Also, make sure you make the rings large enough (inner diameter) so you can fit the second (unbroken ring) between the first and the stem of the goblet. This will become clearer when you try it.

P.S. don't tell anyone else... this is supposed to be a secret .
    Last edited by Bruce Pratt; 09-07-2014 at 3:49 PM. Reason: additional information

I have made lots of them but can not imagine any way it could be done without first breaking open one side of one of the rings and putting it through the other one and gluing it back together.
    Here is one I made with cherry .

260942740.jpg
    We get Too Soon Old And Too Late Smart

Rather than using a knife, just break the ring. Remove any splinters that would keep the rings from joining. A clean break is less likely to show than a cut, and tends to be on a grain line. Turn three or four rings so you have spares just in case.

I've turned several wedding goblets, some with rings some without. When I do rings, I burn the first names on each ring and always burn both names and the date on the goblet. That way she can always turn it to show the date a week or so before each anniversary just to give him a reminder!

Weddings are HER event so if you do burning, see if you can find out some symbol that is meaningful to her and burn it on the side opposite the date. I've done Yin-yang, celtic knots, fairies, and other things. One I did with 'intertwined' rings actually was an anniversary goblet and I wrapped the parents rings with smaller rings for each of their three children.

Frankly, the separate rings go over just as well as intertwined, IMHO.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I've done a couple with intertwined rings out of walnut. I didn't use a knife, just snapped with the grain. One bit of advice, turn as many rings as possible, not just two. Give yourself as many chances as possible. I try to turn 4 rings, and hopefully get one out 3 where the break is least noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pratt View Post
    Split one carefully along the grain with a sharp knife, intertwine and carefully reglue. The split may show in cherry unless you can find a grain line to hide it. This technique works better with heavily grained wood.

Also, make sure you make the rings large enough (inner diameter) so you can fit the second (unbroken ring) between the first and the stem of the goblet. This will become clearer when you try it.
    P.S. don't tell anyone else... this is supposed to be a secret .
    Quote Originally Posted by William Young SE BC View Post
    I have made lots of them but can not imagine any way it could be done without first breaking open one side of one of the rings and putting it through the other one and gluing it back together.
    Here is one I made with cherry .
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Rather than using a knife, just break the ring. Remove any splinters that would keep the rings from joining. A clean break is less likely to show than a cut, and tends to be on a grain line. Turn three or four rings so you have spares just in case.

I've turned several wedding goblets, some with rings some without. When I do rings, I burn the first names on each ring and always burn both names and the date on the goblet. That way she can always turn it to show the date a week or so before each anniversary just to give him a reminder!

Weddings are HER event so if you do burning, see if you can find out some symbol that is meaningful to her and burn it on the side opposite the date. I've done Yin-yang, celtic knots, fairies, and other things. One I did with 'intertwined' rings actually was an anniversary goblet and I wrapped the parents rings with smaller rings for each of their three children. Frankly, the separate rings go over just as well as intertwined, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madden View Post
    I've done a couple with intertwined rings out of walnut. I didn't use a knife, just snapped with the grain. One bit of advice, turn as many rings as possible, not just two. Give yourself as many chances as possible. I try to turn 4 rings, and hopefully get one out 3 where the break is least noticeable.
    Thanks guys, pretty much what I had guessed, the only thing I hadn't considered was making more rings than needed, that's the reason I love these forums. Can't beat the information you get nor the caliber of people you meet. Thanks again.

I've also done quite a few goblets with interlocked captive rings. One bit of advice....turn at least 3 rings, more if you have room on the stem. Not all attempts to interlock are successful so it's nice have a back up ring or two.

The only way to make the rings without breaking one would be by carving. We're lathe guys, we don't need no stinking carving. Besides, that's a lot more work. As for the re-gluing on light colored woods and cherry, try Elmer's white school glue, rather than yellow glue. It dries more transparent without a yellow or brown color, and is less noticible.
    Last edited by Brian Brown; 09-09-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I made a captive ring Wedding Goblet for a friend and turned the rings in place w/o breaking them. To make them intertwined, you would have to break them. I made this one out of Japanese Yew. The cigarette was used for scale. The cup itself is so thin it glows brightly with a flashlight in it, less than .030" thick. The base is also concave so it sits well and is finished.

I made a special, homemade tool to carve the rings in place, sand them and cut them loose. It was a fun project.

Wedding Goblet.jpg
    You can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye - Always were Eye Protection!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    I've also done quite a few goblets with interlocked captive rings. One bit of advice....turn at least 3 rings, more if you have room on the stem. Not all attempts to interlock are successful so it's nice have a back up ring or two.
    Thanks Curt, more rings then needed seems to be the prevailing advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    The only way to make the rings without breaking one would be by carving. We're lathe guys, we don't need no stinking carving. Besides, that's a lot more work. As for the re-gluing on light colored woods and cherry, try Elmer's white school glue, rather than yellow glue. It dries more transparent without a yellow or brown color, and is less noticible.
    Thanks for posting Brian, agree on the carving, never done any to speak of and don't have any plans to.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moran View Post
    I made a captive ring Wedding Goblet for a friend and turned the rings in place w/o breaking them. To make them intertwined, you would have to break them. I made this one out of Japanese Yew. The cigarette was used for scale. The cup itself is so thin it glows brightly with a flashlight in it, less than .030" thick. The base is also concave so it sits well and is finished.
    I made a special, homemade tool to carve the rings in place, sand them and cut them loose. It was a fun project.
    Richard, sorry I missed your post. That is a great looking "midi" sized? goblet. I would love to see your shop made tool for cutting the rings. Was just getting ready to make a post about one I made over on the "Shop Made...." forum.

And here I thought there was surely some magic involved but was too afraid to ask. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the compliments on my goblet. I don't believe that I have that tool anymore, that was 18 years ago and the tip was ground out of an old flat-blade screwdriver. I'll have to look a little closer in my drawers. I have since bought 2 sizes of professional ones that I'v never even used.

I remember cutting and sanding the rings one at a time before parting them loose and then taping them to the base end to keep them out of the way while I worked on the other ring and finished the project.
    You can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye - Always were Eye Protection!

If you're going to "cheat" and break one ring, why not cheat and break two rings? Then you can turn the goblet any old way you choose, without the rings. You turn the rings on separate stock, break, and glue on.

Another "trick" you might use is to turn the stem fairly thick after turning the rings. You can then attach sandpaper to it and use that to sand the inside of the rings which turning on the lathe. Then turn the stem to the final thickness. I have made quite a few. Mostly from cherry. I used to tape the rings out of the way while working on the rest of the goblet. Now I just let them float on the stem and push them out of the way if necessary. Knock on wood, but have not lost one yet.

That is really cheating!
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling