Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw search narrowed, need help with final decision.

Question Table saw search narrowed, need help with final decision.

Like so many others, I ask again, which table saw choicewould be best? I have found a very good Grizzly 2002, 1023 left tilt with ShopFox 50” rip fence, extension table, and 3hp, home- made mobile base one ownerfor $800, 3 hours for my home. I have also located a one owner excellent 2007,Jet JTAS-10 right tilt, also with 50” rip fence extended table, 3hp, factorymobile base for $1100.00, also 3 hours away. There are two Powermatic 66 and aDelta Unisaw, all with 50/52” Biesemeyer fences, 6 hours away in threedifferent directions for around $1500 & $1600. I live within one hour ofSpringfield Missouri’s Grizzly Showroom and can buy either a new grizzlyG1023RLX or a GO691 saw with 3HP and extended table and rip fence, with ariving knife (used do not have), without mobile base for $1600.00. Anotherlocal tool dealer has a floor model NOS, General 350-T50m2 right tilt, 52”General rip fence for $1800 and a NOS in box General International 50-260-m1left tilt, 50” rip fence for $1500, these saws do not have riving knifes. Theyalso have a floor model NOS Delta X Unisaw with Biesemeyer 50” fence for $1500.I do not intend on using the saw in a production shop, I am a hobbyist whowants a very good cabinet style table saw, just sold my solid Ridgid TS 3650contractor saw. Please give me your thoughts, am I missing something obviousand does one truly standout above the others.
    Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

You have a lot of different choices to choose from. I have a 1999 Delta Unisaw right tilt that I still smile at every time I use it. That said, I would go with the General 350 in a heartbeat.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

For what it's worth, I'd narrow it to North American made and start from there. The General (non-international) are pretty well-regarded, but I'd lean towards the Powermatic 66 or the Unisaw if either was old enough to be made in the U.S.

Rick

My 80's USA made Unisaw is still running strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    You have a lot of different choices to choose from. I have a 1999 Delta Unisaw right tilt that I still smile at every time I use it. That said, I would go with the General 350 in a heartbeat.
    Bruce, Not to get off topic here, but since you mentioned you have a right tilt unisaw.... I came into the same saw and I'm scratching my head regarding the dust collection. My machine has a 15" slot on the bottom right side for DC. If yours is the same, did you find a fitting to accommodate the DC-duct to saw slot?

You didn't mention your budget, but I assume you can afford all the ones you mentioned. Are you saving for other large tool purchases that you could use some of this money for? If so I'd try to talk down the $800 grizzly to more like $700 - it's a 12 year old saw after all that didn't cost a whole lot new.
    How about safety (roving knife)?

Vince, my uni came with one of these. It mounts under the motor cover.

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/wo...isaw-dust-hood
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If the General 350 has the riving knife I'd get that one. Note this saw is no longer made and the last couple of years they had saws with riving knifes. I'd probably pick the 350 even if it didn't have the riving knife for $1800.

At those prices you might as well head to Grizzly and get a new 1023 or 690 with a true riving knife.

That would be my recommendation also. You will have a modern saw, with a riving knife, as well as a warranty.
    Earl

Thanks everyone and a couple more question.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I am trying to save as much money as possible on the purchase, because like Matt asked, I am trying to build an arsenal of quality, beefier tools for my retirement. Looking at all of your input, I haven't ran to Grizzly yet, because if at all possible it would be nice to own something from this continent, but Griz has a good rep. That is why I considered the used saws. I will check to make sure if the General has a riving knife or not, I heard they are the only company that made a retro fit riving knife (not sure that's true). My only concern is parts availability for the General, it has no warranty and is the most expensive. I own other tools that are Jet and Delta and have been happy with those tools. From the thread it seems I should pursue the General 350 or a new Grizzly, given that some of you are happy with your Unisaws, and years ago that is the direction I would have followed in a heart beat, but with Delta's change of business I have been hesitant, but then many companies have had radical changes in ownership and manufacturing outside of this continent. Does anyone happen to know what General 350s were priced at prior to end of production? This has been my first post and I am extremely happy with the numbers of folks that care enough to respond. I will try to be less wordy in the future.
    Thanks again to everyone, I will keep you posted.

I don't know what the General cost new but the riving knife retrofit was $650 if I recall correctly. Who knows if it is still available. I guess I don't understand your reluctance to own an asian Grizzly when you own Jet and Delta. Jet was always made overseas and Delta moved also at some point. To each his own.

I traded a 1.5 hp Ridgid for Grizzly 1023 and couldn't be happier. No matter what you choose I bet you'll be happy. Still haven't got used to the quieter yet more evil sound the blade makes as it spins but that is a nice reminder to helps me keep all my fingers...and hands. Personally, I like to buy new when I can especially with equipment that I will keep long term.

If you go with Grizzly, get a 1023, if you go with the used one, you can get a shark guard that has a splitter, and he also includes a splitter for when you take the guard off. I have a shark on my Unisaw, 05 which I bought new, still runs like new, but I also have 6 Grizzly machines, and all of those are good machines. Even the China made machines quality seems to be improving. They make practically everything you can buy in the US. Even the local mfg companies are buying parts from China.

The general 350/650 sold for around $3k or more. Thats what I paid around 2005 for a 650. General doesn't make the Canadain version anymore but does still have parts available. I wouldnt worry about getting parts, the thing is not going to need any.

I might be the wrong person to give advice because I recently decided I had to have the General 34-01 drill press and ended up finding probably the last new one in canada and had it shipped at considerable expense. Could have gotten a Grizzly, Powermatic, or a Delta for 1/3 the price but had my heart set on the General.
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 09-08-2014 at 12:11 AM.