Thread: need help building snipes bills

need help building snipes bills

So I'm onto building snipes bill planes and I really can't find much information on them. I guess my first question is on the shape of the iron. Is the iron the same shape as the sole, both concave and convex portions or just the concave portion. Also I heard there is supposed to be a small flat at the point. Is the sole flat at the very point or does it come to a sharp point and the flat is produce because the iron sticks out somewhat on the escarpment side, like a rabbit does?

Mine are old ones. Both the iron, and the sole go to a point, with the iron matching the sole-just the concave. The curve is only on one side. I don't know what works any better for running a quirk, than a Snipes Bill. Every one I've ever seen has a Boxwood runner, and other than Lignum Vitae, I don't know of anything else that might provide any kind of life for the wear the small area gets. I replaced the Boxwood runners on one of mine. I was too cheap to buy one ready to use that didn't need some work.

Do a search on ebay, and you should find some with multiple views in the ad pictures.

I just went and checked ebay. There are a number of them on there right now, with several variations of iron shapes, and lots of pictures that should show you what you are looking for.

There's a pretty clear picture of some snipe irons on this page (no affiliation).
    http://www.hntgordon.com.au/gidgee-moulding-planes.html

I met Terry Gordon at a wood show in Canberra yesterday and had a play with the snipe planes. I'm considering putting in an order.