Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "First lathe" question

Another "First lathe" question

I am seriously looking at the Jet JWL-1221VS mini lathe as my first machine. I like the variable speed from 60 - 3600 RPMs but eventually I would like to turn my own table legs which means I would need more length (the JWL-1221VS is only 20 1/2 inches) so I am also looking at the table extension and stand for this machine. My question for the experienced wood turners is, would it make more sense to "bite the bullet" and buy a larger machine now? Or will a table extension setup perform just as well? Not ever owning a lathe, I can't help but wonder if extending the table may impact the precision in some way, and perhaps buying a longer machine to begin with would be a smarter choice. Cost is an issue only in the sense that I could probably "swing" this mini lathe now but if I want something larger I will probably need to postpone for another year or more. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Maurice Arney; 09-08-2014 at 6:49 AM.

Maurice,
    If I were in your place right now I might consider the 1221VS but knowing what I know (number 1 what the 1221 and additional bed and leg cost, number two what woodturning does to you think vortex sucking you in) I would definitely look at the Jet 1642 which goes on sale a few times a year at about $1800. This is only about $400 more than what you are looking at in the 1221 and you end up with more than twice the lathe in my mind.

The 1221vs is a good starter lathe. The variable speed and reverse direction are nice features. The bed extension bolts on securely. Instead of buying the stand, consider building a sturdy base from double-thickness 3/4" plywood (top) and 2x4's for legs (be sure to cross brace for lateral and forward/back stability). If you build the stand, you may be able to afford the bed extension now. For turning table legs, depending on their diameter, you may also want to consider a steady rest. You can buy one, or there are plans on various forums. You may well outgrow the 1221vs in a couple years, but resale is pretty good.

To argue the other side of the question, it is good advice to buy the biggest lathe you can afford. Just remember that there are almost always annual price increases on lathes.

Also suggest you attend a meeting of a local chapter of the AAW. Looks like there are chapters in Conway and St. Johnsbury. These may be too far away for routine attendance, but a visit or two and conversation with other members will give you additional perspective on your question.

Remember that there are other expenses involved in getting started, at a minimum, gouges, slow speed grinder and personal protective equipment, and lots of other attractive bits of kit later, e.g., better tool rest, more gouges, sharpening jigs, measuring devices, more gouges...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pratt View Post
    The 1221vs is a good starter lathe. The variable speed and reverse direction are nice features. The bed extension bolts on securely. Instead of buying the stand, consider building a sturdy base from double-thickness 3/4" plywood (top) and 2x4's for legs (be sure to cross brace for lateral and forward/back stability). If you build the stand, you may be able to afford the bed extension now. For turning table legs, depending on their diameter, you may also want to consider a steady rest. You can buy one, or there are plans on various forums. You may well outgrow the 1221vs in a couple years, but resale is pretty good.

To argue the other side of the question, it is good advice to buy the biggest lathe you can afford. Just remember that there are almost always annual price increases on lathes.

Also suggest you attend a meeting of a local chapter of the AAW. Looks like there are chapters in Conway and St. Johnsbury. These may be too far away for routine attendance, but a visit or two and conversation with other members will give you additional perspective on your question.

Remember that there are other expenses involved in getting started, at a minimum, gouges, slow speed grinder and personal protective equipment, and lots of other attractive bits of kit later, e.g., better tool rest, more gouges, sharpening jigs, measuring devices, more gouges...
    Thanks... Good point on the stand! The lathe plus extension comes to just over $1,000. I'm not sure what you mean by a "steady rest." I will research it to see how it might effect my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    Maurice,
    If I were in your place right now I might consider the 1221VS but knowing what I know (number 1 what the 1221 and additional bed and leg cost, number two what woodturning does to you think vortex sucking you in) I would definitely look at the Jet 1642 which goes on sale a few times a year at about $1800. This is only about $400 more than what you are looking at in the 1221 and you end up with more than twice the lathe in my mind.
    Thanks Bill. I looked at the 1642 1 1/2 HP. Looks like a great machine! Right now it is advertised as "on sale" for $2,110 (marked down from $2600). You are correct... The 1221VS lathe, extension, stand, and stand extension all total up to $1,464. If I can find the 1642 for $1800 then I think that would be a "no brainer." Do you know when you last saw the 1642 it at that price? As I said, it is on sale today for $2,110 so if I could get it for $1,800 that would be fantastic and worth waiting for!

You will find that the 1221 (I have a 1220VS + extension) with the extension gives a considerably longer bed than most 'long bed' lathes. Mine is 46" between chuck face and tail centers. For comparison my 1642 is 42" from face of the spindle to the face of the tail stock spindle when fully retracted, but only 36" from face of chuck to point of live center since the tail stock spindle has to be extended quite a bit to hold the live center. While 36" is probably OK for table legs, it could be a pinch in some situations.

For spindle work, you don't need too heavy a table and the 12" throw also limits how large and out of balance a piece can be mounted. I never bolted mine to the table that I made and only had a problem with one piece - a 12" chip bowl that had several burls that made the piece impossible to balance. The 1642 handled it nicely.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

today is the last day of Jet's "Summer sale" - so if you're buying new...get busy.

I don't think you'll find it new for $1800 - but I have seen some used ones recently in the $1500-$1800 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    today is the last day of Jet's "Summer sale" - so if you're buying new...get busy.

I don't think you'll find it new for $1800 - but I have seen some used ones recently in the $1500-$1800 range.
    I know... Trying to resist until the sale expires .

resistance is futile.

you will succumb to the vortex.

Buy the 1221. It's a solid good lathe. Lots of people have more than 1 lathe. In the future, you could pony up the bucks for the 1642 or the bigger brother the Powermatic 3520. Or 4224. I bought the old version 1014 and still use it. I prefer the little lathe when turning finials and such. Mostly because the 1642-2 draws 10 times the current to turn the same little finial. Out here, at 34 cents a kw, that makes quite a difference. Even having the 1014 and 1642, if a 1221 came my way, I'd swap out the 1014 just for the variable speed. But still would want 2 lathes. Wait, I have 3 already.......
    Welcome. You do know that the lathe is the cheap part of turning. Hang on to your credit card.

Maurice, If you have any other tools such as a table saw you can build your own extension for that lathe that will serve you very well. Build your own bench and extension and you will be able to build most every thing you want. You can make the extension to what ever length you need to do the things you want.Wally

Why not just build a springpole or treadle lathe?
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Maurice,
    Here's my $5 extension on a Jet 12-21. A shop made extension is not difficult IF you already have some woodworking skills. There are lots of examples if you Google “homemade lathe extensions”. I made mine from leftover white oak, but any hardwood for the bed would work. Drill the holes in the horizontal supports a bit oversize so you can fine-tune the alignment. Mine is 44” between centers. When I learn to turn I have hopes to turn some chair legs.
    Paul

P1170738.JPG

P1170735.JPG

If your table leg design permits, you could turn two sections and join them at a design feature to get the length you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Maurice,
    Here's my $5 extension on a Jet 12-21. A shop made extension is not difficult IF you already have some woodworking skills. There are lots of examples if you Google “homemade lathe extensions”. I made mine from leftover white oak, but any hardwood for the bed would work. Drill the holes in the horizontal supports a bit oversize so you can fine-tune the alignment. Mine is 44” between centers. When I learn to turn I have hopes to turn some chair legs.
    Paul

P1170738.JPG

P1170735.JPG
    Very nice! I'm impressed!