Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another "First lathe" question

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Howard View Post
    Ok, I just spoke with Phil at Teknatool, and he advised that neither the reversible version of the G3 or the version that requires an insert would support the reverse function if used on the Jet 1221VS. The reverse version (and the insert model with the IXNS insert version for that matter) has a grub screw that for the Comet, contacts the spindle in a non-threaded area. For the Jet1221VS, the grub screw hits in the threaded area and shouldn't be used.

He said that if you truly wanted to use the G3 with the Jet1221VS in reverse, he suggested using a plastic spindle ring (spindle washer), which may help to keep the G3 in place while using reverse. His logic was, with the spindle ring, you can get the chuck on a bit more snug than without it. He did say even then, you'd need to use care because there is still some risk the chuck could come unthreaded while used in reverse.
    I just went and looked at my chuck and faceplate. The location of the grub screw on the G-3 Reversible chuck is the same distance from the shoulder as the grub screws on the 3" faceplate that came in the box from Jet. The threads where the grub screws contact the spindle are there but have been machined down to approximately half the height of the other threads. I don't see how the chuck could come off if the grub screws are tightened. Before I ordered my chuck I spoke to someone at Packard (I don't remember the name) who confirmed the G-3 Reversible was the chuck to use on the Jet 12-21.
    Paul

I have nothing against Amazon, in fact, I really like them, but check the bidding bay. There's a guy that sells the G3 with insert and shipped for less than 140 bucks. I got mine from him long ago. I buy my chucks and jaws from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I have nothing against Amazon, in fact, I really like them, but check the bidding bay. There's a guy that sells the G3 with insert and shipped for less than 140 bucks. I got mine from him long ago. I buy my chucks and jaws from him.
    Thanks for the tip. Do you have a url? Is it like ebay?

Yeah, e-bay. Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    I just went and looked at my chuck and faceplate. The location of the grub screw on the G-3 Reversible chuck is the same distance from the shoulder as the grub screws on the 3" faceplate that came in the box from Jet. The threads where the grub screws contact the spindle are there but have been machined down to approximately half the height of the other threads. I don't see how the chuck could come off if the grub screws are tightened. Before I ordered my chuck I spoke to someone at Packard (I don't remember the name) who confirmed the G-3 Reversible was the chuck to use on the Jet 12-21.
    Paul
    Got my lathe today and I see exactly what you are saying. The set screws on the Jet face plate make contact with the threads where they have been machined down. So if the set screws on the G3 are in the same position, I see no reason why it would present a problem (unless there are other factors... but yours apparently fits just fine). Do you know what the part number is on the G3 you purchased? Is it the 48232? The one that supposedly will only work on the Comet?

The number on my chuck, 113103R, is probably unique to Packard. This will take you to the page of their catalog. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...urjaw-nova-ng3

I think Teknatool's nomenclature on the G-3 series is very confusing and not helping their business any.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    The number on my chuck, 113103R, is probably unique to Packard. This will take you to the page of their catalog. http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...urjaw-nova-ng3

I think Teknatool's nomenclature on the G-3 series is very confusing and not helping their business any.

It is very confusing. If I were a betting man, I would bet that your chuck is the Nova G3 48232 reversible (The one described as exclusive for the Comet).

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Howard View Post
    Ok, I just spoke with Phil at Teknatool, and he advised that neither the reversible version of the G3 or the version that requires an insert would support the reverse function if used on the Jet 1221VS. The reverse version (and the insert model with the IXNS insert version for that matter) has a grub screw that for the Comet, contacts the spindle in a non-threaded area. For the Jet1221VS, the grub screw hits in the threaded area and shouldn't be used.

He said that if you truly wanted to use the G3 with the Jet1221VS in reverse, he suggested using a plastic spindle ring (spindle washer), which may help to keep the G3 in place while using reverse. His logic was, with the spindle ring, you can get the chuck on a bit more snug than without it. He did say even then, you'd need to use care because there is still some risk the chuck could come unthreaded while used in reverse.
    I just called Nova Tools myself and Phil answered the phone (Really nice guy!) He told me about the spindle washer idea too but I asked him if he could check the position of the grub screw. As someone else pointed out, the screw is in the exact same spot as the screw on my Jet faceplate, which contacts the spindle in a spot where the threads have been machined down. So that's the scoop. I know what is going on now and it is just a matter of preference.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse but Phil at Nova (Tecnatool) has apparently suggested twice, a spacer washer to securely hold the chuck when turning in reverse. Read the product description attached. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...indle%20washer
    It states otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    Don't mean to beat a dead horse but Phil at Nova (Tecnatool) has apparently suggested twice, a spacer washer to securely hold the chuck when turning in reverse. Read the product description attached. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...indle%20washer
    It states otherwise.
    Ya... I don't see how that washer would keep the chuck from coming off. Phil's explanation was that, with the washer attached, you could tighten the chuck down enough so that it won't spin off. I would trust the grub screws myself.