Thread: second workbench. .... How tall??

second workbench. .... How tall??

Ready to build a second workbench that will be 20' long and 18" deep and attached to the wall under 3 4' x 4' windows with cabinets underneath for storage. Original thought was the same height as my workbench (32") but now I think taller might be better, something like a kitchen counter height of ~36".

What would you do??

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Blog Entries
    Knuckles high standing in front of bench is what I use.
    It so happens that my table saw is the same height. If I recall properly, it is 39".

The answer depends entirely on what you intend to do at this bench, how it's height might relate to other tools and benches in the shop and your personal preferences.

It's like asking which girl to date

Also, 20' long? That's 4 times longer than my bench...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Ready to build a second workbench that will be 20' long and 18" deep and attached to the wall under 3 4' x 4' windows with cabinets underneath for storage. Original thought was the same height as my workbench (32") but now I think taller might be better, something like a kitchen counter height of ~36".

What would you do??

Brian
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Will the other bench be near this one? If yes, then there is an argument for them to be the same height; one can serve as auxiliary support for the other.

If not, then I think there's value to having the other one taller; it's more comfortable for some operations like chiseling, sawing and assembly. Honestly, the only thing I like my 'low' bench for is for planing.

Yes, it is a bit long but skinny.

My ts is 34" along with its outfeed table. Beyond that is a 3' gap and then the workbench at 3' x 9' x 32" high, another 3' gap and then the new bench. What I'm finding is my main bench is a bit low for cutting dovetails so I may use the new one for that along a small area for sharping / honing and handsaw sharping. Other than that it'll be a big horizontal surface to catch the overflow from the main bench.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I made a second bench for the workshop at Household Goods Recycling. The shop is about 20x25 and the work is overwhelmingly repair.

• The original bench is table height (about 30" x 12') with a medium machinist vise
    • The assembly table is probably 20" high (3' x 3')
    • The new bench is 42" high (30" x 72")
      • There's a not-very-good full width woodworker's vise at one end (it doesn't get used much)
      • It is the bench of choice for most furniture work, and the table height bench is used mostly for lamp repair
      • Construction -
        • The top is a mix of oak and maple that I made out of abandoned table leaves from dining room tables and banded with maple - I used a DeWalt power thicknesser at home, joined the boards using biscuits to improve resistance to movement
        • The above top "skin" (1" thick) sits on a plywood base (2 x 3/4")
        • The base is just a simple plywood structure that's pretty rigid
        • Finished with Danco (?) Oil
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Blog Entries
    What I'm finding is my main bench is a bit low for cutting dovetails
    My thought is building a bench based on only one aspect of woodworking may be a mistake.

This is where a Moxon vise fits in.

If a long bench was in the works for me the height would be based on a comfortable height for planing long boards and the use of bench hooks.

If your current bench feels right for most of your tasks then stay with what works.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)