Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20" Grizzly Planer

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Hamsley View Post
    I added the Grizzly GO544 20" planer early this year to do more production planing from the sawmill and kiln. It has a separate 5 HP cutterhead motor and a 2 HP feed motor. It pulls 37 amps. It was the largest planer that I could get without going to 3-phase power. It does a fine job, but it costs a couple of thousand dollars more than the GO454Z.
    Danny, y'know what's odd about that series of 20" planer like you got, it seems to me, is the wheel right where I would raise the boards to rest them on the top. Do you ever find it gets in the way ?

I'm used to working the planer from the right side. If I were to get that series of planer I think I'd have to re-position it and work it from the left side.
    Last edited by Yonak Hawkins; 09-09-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I've got lots to think about.

Yonak,

You are right. Sometimes I hit the wheel when working from the right side. It is a little aggravating, but not a big problem as you learn to avoid it.

Danny, have you tried using the bit and sawblade cleaner that Grizzly sells on your cutterhead? I thought my cutters were getting dull, tried some cleaner on a spot, and found that using a toothbrush and scrubbing them a bit with the cleaner made them sharp again. It is the pitch in the wood that makes them seem dull.

I have the Grizzly G1033X and love it!!!! I had a little sticker shock, but got over it super quick! I plane a lot of rough lumber and just rotated the inserts for the first time, and I've had it for 4 years.... probably wasn't completely necessary but some wood would end up just a bit fuzzy nothing bad though.... good tip on the cleaner.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Glenn, I don't understand where the cost savings is realized with inserts. The initial cost is $900 more, plus I don't see the savings in the long term, either. I appreciate Cary's observation about the inserts being carbide .. that's something I wasn't aware of .. but still, they can't be re-ground and must be replaced at a very high cost, after four re-mountings.
    There are insert heads on the market that are taking advantage of folks excited about the idea of a spiral head but, still using HSS inserts so the extended life savings is moot. I would go through a set of knives (sharpen to extinction) about every 6 months or so. I ran the insert head for nearly two years before I rotated to the second edge. I have yet to rotate it again. My planer which is about 2 years newer is still on the first edge. There was a good write up on this in some magazine . . . ah, here you go: http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-...head-cost.aspx

Doh! Just realized Matt already shared the article.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-09-2014 at 6:22 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jim,

I intend to clean the inserts on both my planers. I bet that will liven them up!