Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 x 72" belt grinder

2 x 72" belt grinder

Sorry, had a build along but photobucket pics are not pasting in correctly. I will include a few pics of the finished project

grinder 031.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brad jansen; 09-08-2014 at 9:23 PM.

grinder 041.jpgFinished pic with belt attached.

Brad, you've built another beautifully crafted piece!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree with Bruce, your sander is a real beauty...

Thanks guys. I have plans and a parts list that I put together in case anyone wants to build one, and happy to share with anyone.

Brad - very nice looking sander indeed. Nice job. Question for you, what is the "plate" material for the sides and would you mind sharing where you got it? I am cooking up an idea for a ripping jig (among others) which will accept a replaceable ZCI for my euro slider and the material you used there looks like it will fit the bill nicely.

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Sure Larry, it is just 6061 aluminum- 1/2" thick. It is polished and jeweled as you can see.. I purchased this batch from an e-ba-y seller called Exactmetals, but you can also get it from onlinemetals.com (if you do search for a coupon code for onlinemetals...there are always some out there for 10-15% off an order).

Quote Originally Posted by brad jansen View Post
    Sure Larry, it is just 6061 aluminum- 1/2" thick. It is polished and jeweled as you can see.. I purchased this batch from an e-ba-y seller called Exactmetals, but you can also get it from onlinemetals.com (if you do search for a coupon code for onlinemetals...there are always some out there for 10-15% off an order).
    Thanks very much Brad. I will check them out. If my jig turns out 1/2 as nice as your sander I am in business.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Brad,

I would love a copy of your plan and parts list.

Very nice grinder. Thanks for posting.

MK

Nice grinder! You will love using it! I use my industrial belt grinder constantly, I don't know how I got along without it.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Great looking belt sander. I need to add one to my shop someday too. If you are publishing plans put me on the list!
    The Plane Anarchist

Nice belt grinder and the engine turning on the frame parts adds a nice touch.

Ron

Very well made machine congratulations on the job.

I have a question in regards to the design. The tool arm slot is in a vertical gang of four. What is the reason for this? If you insert a second arm for a tool rest doesn't need to be off set to the left?

I'd love a copy of the plans also.

Cheers.

Dale, the multiple tool arm slots allow you to not only adjust the height of the specific tool you are working with,but also allows for easy adjustments of tool rests as you mentioned. Those rests do not necessarily need to be offset to the left. If clearance becomes an issue with the specific tool a couple thousands could be taken off the side of the last 8 inches of the tool rest arm. Send me a pm with your email and I will get the plans over to you. Thanks