Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 x 72" belt grinder

1. This looks great, I would like a copy of the plans if I can get them, Thank You, Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by brad jansen View Post
    Thanks guys. I have plans and a parts list that I put together in case anyone wants to build one, and happy to share with anyone.
    WOW that looks like it is just off the showroom floor.

Strange coincidence, two guys on a woodworking forum, I am in the process of building one also but it won't be nearly as professional looking as yours. I "had" two treadmills that I have disassembled and am salvaging for parts and materials. Will be using the motor and controls. Bought the D-backing plate and the tracking wheel from eBay. I am making a 4" drive wheel for the treadmill motor. Bought a set of 6 different grit belts from KnifeDogs. Just need to put everything together. I will post pics of it when I get it done.

Wood love to see your plans just to compare notes. I am making mine because I am expecting to have to make more knives.

"The best things in life are not things."

Nice grinder! Curious about the choice of a contact wheel for a drive wheel though. With the expense of contact wheels, some $$$ could be saved by using a purpose made drive wheel.
    Only recently got into the 2X72 world myself, with a Wilmont based machine. So liberating to have a purpose built piece of machinery like that.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Thanks. I am glad I am getting a bunch of requests for the plans. Mark, the contact wheel for a drive wheel was simply because I had that as an extra In the shop. I have since replaced the contact drive wheel with a 5" aluminum drive wheel to increase the belt speed a bit for increased efficiency on ceramic belts.
    Last edited by brad jansen; 10-18-2016 at 9:43 PM.

Dang,one of those have been on my bucket list for couple yrs now.If you should get a chance please send me a copy also,I am getting very close getting setup to do some machining since I now have a mill.Brad that is a fantastic job,I was wondering if you could talk alittle about how you made those swirls in your metal?-----Carroll

Nice looking grinder Brad. I sent you a PM.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Carroll, check out this link. This was the first grinder I built and towards the end you will see how I did the engine turning. Its pretty simple...just glue on a small sectino of a scotchbright pad to the end of a dowel rod or bolt, chuck it up in the drill press and take your time as you work down a clean (ideally polished) piece of metal.

http://www.unitedbowhuntersofillinoi...opic.php?t=820

Brad thanks for posting,that is awesome,love that jeweling(?)now I see how its done. You have alot of time invested in your grinder,that is top of the line and dang it looks fantastic.----Carroll